1981 GS850gl refresh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 GS850gl refresh

Hey, I just got started on a refresh of my new to me GS850, I've only had it a couple weeks so not a lot of progress but here it is anyways.

Here's what I started out with.

Next I took the tank and side covers off and fixed cracks and painted, wet sanded and buffed them.

Cleaned up the bike some, replaced the throttle, speedo and tach cables, and re-installed the windshield. Also put the new tank badges on.

Now onto the brakes, have new SS lines and pads front and rear coming.

I took the front forks off last night and will be hopefully replacing the seals and buffing them up tonight.
    Last edited by Guest; 01-01-2012, 02:06 PM.

When all is said and done, we will pretty much have twin bikes. Nice work.

Comment

What is the production date on your bike?

It looks more like an '82 than an '81.

If it was made in August through December of '81, it is likely an '82.

The larger tank, the clutch cover, the side covers and the passenger peg/muffler mounts all say " '82", but you have the older-style '81 wheels.

Do you have a "Side stand" indicator in your speedometer?

Last edited by Steve; 01-01-2012, 05:07 PM.
      sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Which year 81 or 82?

I'll have to check what year it is for sure. I just went by the registration from the P.O.

One other thing I was wondering was if the signal lights are the right model for the year. Most others seem to be round not rectangle.

Jordan

Comment

Originally posted by jsoulier View Post
          I'll have to check what year it is for sure. I just went by the registration from the P.O.

One other thing I was wondering was if the signal lights are the right model for the year. Most others seem to be round not rectangle.

Jordan
          If it's an 82, which I agree with Steve, it looks like it is, then the stock lights are round.

Comment

Checked VIN

Well, I checked the VIN today and it is definitely a 1981 model, must be a late year one though.

Jordan

Comment

Working...
            X