We have the technology, we can rebuild it. Lighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have the technology, we can rebuild it. Lighting

Well most of the stuff Ive been ordering (and doing a damn cheap job of) has come in. So I guess its time to start a build thread. These always seem like a jinx for me for some reason but Im gonna do it anyway.

Its a 1983 GS 650G that some of you may remember me using to hunt deer with last year. Ive decided on a "bolt-on" cafe build. Ill be attempting to assemble something that resembles a Cafe "style" motorcycle with minimum cut and weld. My first project will be lighting.

I plan on the LED route since Im going to be running as many running/turn signals as I can. Being seen is cooler than being cool. I couldnt find a taillight I liked for being a welder/fabricator, Ill decided to make one. All my parts are in so this will be my start. I know you guys like photos so...

I found a box of whats left from the press formed SS cones we use for equipment we make at work. Theyre 316, low magnetic stainless. The small end is 1.25" while the opening is 4.25" and theyre about 3" high.
    I picked up a GM style twist lock 1157 socket at PEPboys for $3 and an LED 1157 from EBay for $9.99 free shipping.
    Still have no idea on how Ill add a lens yet, but itll happen one way of another.

The fairing lights and post style turn/ running lights were cheap but dual element. Now to just weather a little cold to do some work.

I like the way you think. Getting rid of excess weight is always a good thing. Making a bike what you want it to be is what motorcycling used to be about. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Comment

This oughtta be interesting... and yes I remember your dear hunting exercise too
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I knew posting a build thread would be the kiss of death for any real progress. No sooner did I post, and my Honey-Do list got mean.

Well I did manage to do a little work on the taillight cone today. I gotta tell ya, Ervin step sure do suck ass. I paid $60 for the 1" step and didnt get much passed 1/2". Thats another post I guess. Thanks to my handy dandy Die grinder, I was able to get something done. I know you guys (and gals) like pictures so...

This after burning up a step bit and finishing with a rotary burr.
        And a few minutes with a new file to cut the tangs that lock the socket in place. Still sure how or what Ill do about attaching a lens. I can epoxy it in since this is a twist lock socket and will be removable from the rear of the cone. I have a piece of #8 wire mesh and maybe some 10ga. SS to cut a beauty ring from.

Maybe Ill get to a point Ill call "done for now with it tomorrow and start on repairing/modifying the seat.

Comment

Working...
        X