Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1150 From the Ashes

* Hi everyone,
    I bought this bike in 1985. It was my 3rd street bike. Im a big guy, and I wanted something fast and agile but big enough to haul me around. I would load it up and take it everywhere up and down the east coast when I had no responsibilities other than the payment.

I Had just taken it off the road in 1997 after my son was born, and 35,000 miles of riding. It was the most fun I ever had on the street.

A few months later, we had a fire in the garage .

(Of course, the bike was the only thing that wasnt insured)
    Ive been carting around the crispy carcass for years, and collecting bits and pieces along the way (much to my wifes chagrin).

Ive been reading this forum for a while now, and Its an encouragement.
    I feel like i'm committed enough now on the project to publish it here. Ive got a long way to go, amidst work and kids and life.

Pics of my progress to date here:

Wish me luck
    Thanks

WTG!
    I love your spirit! She will FLY again!

Daniel
    Last edited by Guest; 01-24-2012, 12:44 AM.

Comment

Looks like you're well on your way to making the bike better than new!
      Keep going...
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Sweet job so far. Keep it up. Awesome to see you build up something that brought you so much joy. She looks like she will be bigger badder and better.

Paul

Comment

Happy, sad... ambitious and awesome... the feel good movie of the winter!

Seriously though. This looks good.

Bruce.

Comment

Looks like your off to a good start ! Did they ever decide what caused the garage fire ?
            Leaky carbs / petcock ??? or something unrelated ?

Comment

A small heater we had on for thanksgiving day....thankfully no one was hurt
              Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
              Looks like your off to a good start ! Did they ever decide what caused the garage fire ?
              Leaky carbs / petcock ??? or something unrelated ?

Comment

Gsxr rear swingarm and shock-Done!!

Thanks guys for the kind words, its appreciated.

In my quest to install the rear 4.5 wheel and the gixxer caliper setup, we had to reproduce the frame mounts from the gixxer.
                We fabbed the mounts from some box tube steel stock, and made a jig from the gixxer setup (with help of my friend George at 527 Cycles see pic).

We Installed the 87 GSXR swingarm (perfect fit on the pivot), Worked out good with the bike slightly raised at rear, and the setup clears the airbox.
                Ill send the shock to Mickey Kessler in Wall NJ for the rebuild and setup for my large self....

Ill have to loose the center stand, but i can work out the rearsets, and master cylinder, which im happy about. I really want to keep as much of the original features of the bike as possible, while adding the second generation of suspension and brakes...

This should wrap up my major chassis changes....i may take a look at the motor next.... -Kevin

List of modifications so far:
                17" GSXR front wheel
                89 GSXR 1100 Front forks
                89 GSXR Nissin 4 pot front calipers
                Pro Taper Handlebar and Riser setup
                87 GSXR 750 Swingarm (modifed mounts)
                4.5" 89 GSXR rear wheel
                2001 GSXR Rear Caliper (19bucks on ebay!)
                Last edited by Guest; 01-30-2012, 10:04 PM. Reason: add picture with new swingarm

Comment

Very ambitious and cool!
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thanks chef, looks like youve done a fair amount of engine work on your 1100. Im hoping you can give me some advice as get into the motor...im not much of a mechanic

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                    Very ambitious and cool!

Comment

Originally posted by Cyclepath834 View Post
                      Thanks chef, looks like youve done a fair amount of engine work on your 1100. Im hoping you can give me some advice as get into the motor...im not much of a mechanic
                      Let me know! I'm happy to help however I can.
                      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Motor check

well i had a good experience with the motor. poured some oil in the cylinders, and let it sit....put a ratchet on the end of the crank and after a few gentle back and forths, she turned over completely. so first check after sitting for 15 years in and out of the rain, no movement, oh and yes, having been in a fire....all seems well for no major rebuild. I took off the valve cover, and except for two stripped threads, the cams look great with no pitting,and light wear on the lobes....any advice where to go next?

Comment

Originally posted by Cyclepath834 View Post
                          ....any advice where to go next?
                          After tapping the stripped threads deeper and getting longer bolts for those holes,
                          adjust the valves and install the cover.

Daniel
                          Last edited by Guest; 01-29-2012, 12:12 AM.

Comment

sounds simple enough.
                            can I really gig deeper into those caps? and get enough torque on the cover bolts?

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                            After tapping the stripped threads deeper and getting longer bolts for those holes,
                            adjust the valves and install the cover.

Daniel
                            Last edited by Guest; 01-30-2012, 10:00 PM. Reason: add picture

Comment

Give me a call at 714--356-7845 if you ever need motor stuff or have questions. A 1229 or 1327 would be a FUN motor for that bike. That GSXR motor has NO place in that bike!!! The cam caps can be Helicoiled, no problem. Napa auto parts stores sell the kits & the size you need is 7 mm x 1.0. Let me know if I can help. Ray.
                              Last edited by rapidray; 01-31-2012, 04:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X