1980 Gs1000 rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 Gs1000 rebuild

I have been working on my bike for a few months now and its almost complete so I thought I'd share the progress with all of you. The bike started out sitting in my daughters friends front yard. Before that it had spent the better part of 28 years sitting in a shed not to see the light of day until 3 years ago when the shed was torn down and it got moved to the front yard. The dad had no desire to get the bike running ever again and his wife just wanted it out of the yard. She told me that if I wanted it all I had to do was get it out of her front yard, that day. I didn't feel right just taking it so I offered her $40 bucks which is all I had on me at the time and she took it. I let the bike sit for the last 2 years while I was working on some other projects and now I finally got around to getting it done. Now all it needs is a new chain and get the gas tank painted and my new bike is road ready. Here are a few pictures of what I started with. Tank was not repairable so it got trashed. Here's a brake-down of the new stuff it got.

New tires, 530 chain conversion, progressive front shocks(rear to follow soon), Complete carb tear down soak and rebuild, Swingarm bearings, trippletree bearings, fork seals and new fluid, Tank skim coated and sanded to perfect profile(no low spots), rebuilt pet cock, new gaskets on gas gauge sender.

Last edited by Guest; 01-31-2012, 03:26 PM.

Nice $40 bike you have there... and it's a super rare '80 E model! From the looks of the exhaust, appears to be a low-mileage example (?)

Looking forward to the progress.
    '80 GS1000ST
    '92 ZX-11
    Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R

http://totalrider.com/

Comment

The carb rebuild, all carbs got new jets, gaskets and o-rings.

Comment

Now they are mounted to the engine. I also put in new O-rings on the intakes and replaced the screws in the vacuum hole with Z1's vacuum nipples. My 81 750 SuperSport is going to get them next. The carbs also got new stainless screws all around.

Comment

I am so happy for you!
          Number one, to get such a fine starting point for nothing.
          Number two for giving them the money that you had, at least, for it.
          Number three for doing such a fine job in getting it back into shape!
          Well done indeed!
          Looking forward to following along on this one for certain.

Daniel

Comment

While I had the forks off to get new seals and 20 Wt fork oil I changed out the timpkin bearings in the head. And while I had it apart I though I would polish the lowers and shine up the front fender. I did not know it at the time but the front fender has a few deep scratches in it so I need to get another one of those.

Comment

So this is where is now sits. Waiting for my finances to catch up with my desire to get this thing on the road. Once the carbs were in and secured I started cleaning up all the electrical connection and low and behold it all lit up the first time I put a battery in it. Then it promptly blew all but 2 fuses. New ones went in and it lit right up once again. First attempt to start the bike I pushed the button and nothing. So I began checking connections and tracing wires. 4 hours later I found the bad wire and once again replaced a fuse and the thing turned over. On the second attempt to start it it fired right up and ran. Blew me away. How quiet it is and what a muted tone those big mufflers have. Sounded wonderful.

Comment

Excellent work Bomber!!

How rare are the 80 E's......I did not know this.

Comment

Thanks a bunch you guys, that means a lot to me. It would not have been possible with out the help I got from this site and it's members. More pictures to come.

Comment

Good job,super low miles....neat.

1978 GS1000C
                    1979 GS1000E
                    1980 GS1000E
                    2004 Roadstar

Comment

I love happy endings.
                      Super job!
                      sigpic
                      Steve
                      "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

The title paper work has been submitted to the state and now it's just a waiting game before I can ride. So in the mean time I have decided to paint my tank and all the body work. Took a while but it's all prepped and waiting for my paint guy to get to it. I went with PPG and was able to get a color match of a 6. My paint guy says that anything under a 10 is most likely dead on but I am having everything painted. I figured after all this time and effort the bike deserves a new paint job. One issue I am having is that I did the 530 chain conversion and now I have limited clearance withe the forward chain guard support. Any one have any idea what to do with this? Before I cut it off and grind it flat. Woops I thought these would be in a different order.

[/IMG]
                        Last edited by Guest; 03-06-2012, 01:04 AM.

Comment

Why not just install a chain guard?

Daniel

Comment

Love the bike and the story of the find. You're doing a great job bringing her back.

Comment

Thanks, on the back side of the chain guard mount there is extra metal to stiffen it up. That's why I don't know what to do. I might be able to cut the extra metal off the inside of the chain guard mount and bend it away from the chain.

Comment

Working...
                              X