'85 gsx-550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'85 gsx-550

Well decidd to start up my build page in here instead of adding to the owners section.
    For those who havn't read i bought the bike years ago but discovered no cdi,
    after unable to find one i let it sit for ages. Until now, I have ordered the Boyer Brandson ignition for it and in the meantime i "fixed" her up.
    I must say im doing this as cheap as i can and couldn't be arsed to find original parts, and i got my first child coming soon, It's a Boy
    So as a starting point this is what i had:

And so the striping started

Removed carbs and cleaned engine

Seeing as most of the plastic side trims were cracked and missing corners and the bike semed really long and tall i decided to shrten and lower it.

Welded up the tube ends

and now i needed a seat, so broke out the fiberglass and made me a seat pan.

Used the original locking bracket so i can still access the glovebox and battery.

And reused the foam to make the seat cushion, nor sure how it'll work but i have to buy some material to cover it.

So thats it for this week, I do have plans to make some carby adapters to allow me to run twin K&N filters as you can't buy them for these models anymore.

WOW, lots of progress in just one week......

very good work there....

Comment

A lot of work for sure but I just have to say would it not be better to wait until you confirm that the engine & tranny are working? If, after getting the ignition sorted you find a problem then your customizing may have buggered some pieces you could part out.

I have done 6 rebuilds in the last 8 years and I will only start if I know I've got a workable engine/tranny. I did trip myself up once with my last project the 82 Kat. I got the seized engine sorted but didn't check the tranny before I started the build and when I was finished have a nice bike with running engine but shift issues. I can hopefully sort this all out but if I'd have found this out at the beginning I likely would not have gone ahead with the build and would have parted her out, saving myself many hours and quite a few dollars.

I hope it works for you but just something to think about.

Good luck with it,
      spyug

Comment

Thanks guys,
        I have gone over the bike a few times, i checked all electrics and every thing worked except spark, the starter turned the motor over with ease, gears cycle thru.
        Hope it works lol.
        Luke

Comment

Working...
        X