82 GS750E to GSXR1215 restomod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by akckhim View Post
    So with the end of riding season near its time to get ready for upgrades. I went to my friends and picked out a usd frontend off a gsxr750 and wheels, the only dilemma i have is do i rework the swingarm i have and buy new shocks or do i go all out and use a gsxr arm and go monoshock???? Opinions wanted
    First I have to say the your project has inspired me to build a GS750 with an oil cooled motor. I like the classic looks of spoke wheels, round headlights and simple body parts with the performance of an oil cooled motor.

I have a couple of early GS750 parts bikes that are good starting points. I also found an '88 Katana 1100 donor bike in CO. No engine mods; just run it as is.

I like the classic look of your bike now that comes from dual rear shocks. However with your ability and a later model front end it may be the right answer to go with the mono-shock.

Either way, great bike and thanks for letting us all in on the process.

Tim

Comment

Thanks for the kind words Tim. I have decided to go all in and do the monoshock conversion. The oil cooled katana engine is a great way to go as it has an alternator so no stator rr problems but i would recommend tire and brake upgrades. Good luck if you have any? Just ask
      sigpic1982 gs750e 1186 oil cooled engine USD front mono shock rear
      1994 gsxr1100w
      1981 gs1260dragbike (this one I've owned for29yrs)

Comment

Great build thread, I never thought of the oil cooled motor in the GS frame!

I can imagine the weight of the engines must be massively different.

Put the GSXR front end on and leave the rear till you put some miles on it, then decide on the single shock.

Comment

I put about 600 miles on it already and it really needs better tires and brakes the 750 swingarm is 2 inches shorter than a 1100 and that only makes it want to lift the front tire even more and i am getting a great deal on the rear setup so why not do it this winter. And thanks for the kind words it helps motivate me to make it even better. I think the engine is close to 50lbs lighter than a gs air cooled im gonna weigh it tomorrow
          Last edited by akckhim; 10-09-2012, 09:50 PM.
          1994 gsxr1100w

Comment

These build threads are also inspiring me to build my bikes, I just don't know which bike to start on LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Drummond View Post
              Looking great, why not get some UK spec GS 750 badges(they are real small single line with GS in red and 750 in silver),then stand back and watch the idiots try to work out if the bike is standard,I got another member on here to get me a pair or U.S. spec emblems for my bike(GS1000 with a GSX1100EZ engine), cos I was totally sick of people saying "hmmm,is that a 750?", d**&heads.Those electric blue stripes really suit the carbon look bodywork.What else are you planning?.Johnny
              I don't know, I think 'know it alls' misidentifying it as a 750 would be part of the running joke... Far be it from me to disabuse others of the idea that it was a 750....

Cool classic looks, killer performance and unique engine/bike combo? What's not to like?

The carbon look isn't my thing, but hey, we're starting out different for even owning a bike.

Brilliant bike.

Comment

So today i put the bike on the digital scales 480 lbs with half tank of gas. The original dry weight is listed as 504 lbs so it is lighter but not as much as i thought. Will weigh it again after upcoming changes.
                1994 gsxr1100w

Comment

I have a steel 1000 swingarm you can have for shipping cost if that helps you in the short term... Let me know soon if you want it as it's going out for scrap very soon
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Interesting!

I thought I read another thread that a 1000 with a GSXR1000 front and rear end including wheels was down around 430-450.
                    Yours with those same parts could probably knock another chunk of weight off.

Comment

Seems like you've lost about 35lbs.. half of that will be changing from stock pipes to that 4:1...
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Thanks for the offer on the swingarm I'm starting the front and rear suspension upgrade next week so not needed. Thanks again
                        1994 gsxr1100w

Comment

Engine Weights

Great build. Reading this thread got me wondering. What is the weight difference between a GS750 engine and that of that of GSXR 750?

Same same for a GS1100 and a GSXR 1100 motor.

Thanks.

Comment

Well she certainly turned out beautiful, didn't she? Very nice job!
                            1983 GS1100E

Comment

Here are some pics of the parts i got for upgrades.

1994 gsxr1100w

Comment

I am looking forward to seeing these parts installed!

Comment

Working...
                                X