Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My GS 650 GLZ "fix it up thread" (no 56k)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My GS 650 GLZ "fix it up thread" (no 56k)

Well, I suppose a dedicated thread is in order for this bike I picked up. 1982 gs650glz

Here are some pics from day 1:

First thing it needed was the charging problem figured out. Turn out that the PO had not wired the stator - r/r properly or left a wire(s) un connected. I installed heat shrink bullet connectors to the stator - r/r wiring.

I ordered some new skins: Tour King M-66. Price was $152 shipped.

100/90-19 for the front and 130/90-16 for the rear.

I concluded that my lack of button starting was the solenoid. So ordered a new one out of CA, price was $17 shipped.

That is all for now, stay tuned for more pics of the bike as progress is made.
    Last edited by Guest; 02-11-2012, 07:26 PM.

Looks good, how many miles? Needless to say, review any PO's work or lack there of. Good job on stator wiring, but make sure someone hasn't switched R/R 's thinking that was the charging culprit- there are some wimpy units out there! Spring will come early this year, so get at it.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I will do that. The bike has 21k miles

Comment

Got my new throttle and clutch cable in today: $33

Comment

Stimulate the economy! Hey, where's the snow ?
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I got to looking thru the wiring today, just want to make sure everything is the way its suppose to be. Came across this cluster f*ck. The male side was burned/melted and the female side was cracked right in half. I picked up a pair of 9 pin plugs from radioshack. I will be using some spray tape to coat the plugs.

Comment

Today I cleaned the carbs, cleaned the engine case that is under the carbs and replaced the throttle cable. Sorry, no pics .

Tomaro I will get everything back together and see about getting the new tires mounted.

I also picked up an HID headlight with hi/lo. Going to attemp to install that soon aswell.

Comment

Decided to do the tank up in herculiner. So far, so good. I like how its coming out.

Comment

looks like your tank escaped half way between the tar and feathering process.

Comment

Originally posted by pooleo View Post
                    Decided to do the tank up in herculiner. So far, so good. I like how its coming out.

This just took an unexpected turn. So I guess you aren't doing a stock refurb. LOL You can now haul firewood on your tank as well.

You might want to pick up some of this too: http://www.goldbond.com/

That is a tough looking tank.

Comment

Originally posted by Good Times View Post

You might want to pick up some of this too: http://www.goldbond.com/

That is a tough looking tank.
                      I about sprayed my monitor with coffee at that.

The Herculiner will definitely prevent what happened to my tank. Gas sloshed a few times and seriously dulled the paint.

Comment

Today I got the tires mounted. Did them myself and was not to difficult. Balancing was super easy. Pics to come!

Comment

Here are some pics as of now.

Comment

Welp, I have sold the bike to a good friend of mine. He seems to like it very much. The bars and the pegs give him a few issues. Hes about 6'2

I have a 2nd set of bars, we are going to try and bend them straight or almost straight, we'll see how that goes.

We're going to try for a swap meet this weekend to look for some forward control linkages and parts to make some up. Its about a 2hr ride though each way and he's still learning the ropes.

Comment

Working...
                            X