Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS750ES 1986 Fixer

Hello all,
    This is my first post to this form so be gentle. I purchased this bike a year ago and it has its problems but i have been working through it. The bike Runs (when its running) great but when it doesn't want to go it won't . I'm Planning on doing a full rebuild of the bike when I get my own place (currently going to school/working). I just cleaned the carbs for a new season and I decided to post some pictures of the bike when it was bare. I am hoping to clean it up to it's former GS Glory.

Now I have an issue when i look for parts for this bike it doesn't exist on the parts sites. So I have phoned up Suzuki to ask about the parts. do any of you know why this bike is hard to get parts for?

Anyways any help is greatly appreciated and when I get the fairings back on her I'll take some more pics for you guys

Welcome. I have one of those and there are many others on the site. To my knowledge, parts are not scarce and most are still available through Suzuki or guys like our friends at Z1 Enterprises or Bikebandit etc. I can get most anything through my own pro wrench and his small repair facility. There is definitely a fische on it on Bikebandit's site but its likely showing as 83 or 84 (they are all the same up to your bike). What parts are you after?

If you want to follow a great write up on a total frame off rebuild of one have a look at that of our friend Gatekeeper. He, among several other, is doing an amazing job of bringing his back to life.

You will soon get Cliff's mega welcome with all the information you will ever need and directions to his wonderful site of GS knowledge (manuals, tips, tricks and tutorials).

As mentioned, many guys have these bikes and some have spares so if you are looking for something post your requests and someones likely to have it.

Post you location details as well since there could be members near to you that can help if you need it.

Good luck with it and let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
    Spyug

I should mention that if you are having problems getting it started you might want to check the valve adjustment as tight valves make it horrible to get going. Carbs seem to be difficult for folks to get really clean too so you really must strip them and dip them in carb cleaner and use new o-rings when reassembling. If your contacts in the wiring harness are corroded you could be having weak spark from the coils again resulting in hard starting. Clean up every connector you can see (including in the right handlebar control). It is also a very good idea to do the "coil relay" mod which will insure yor coils get full battery voltage. It goes without saying, that you need a good battery in the circuit but it looks like you may have a new one. If the charging system is not working well, you battery might not be getting a full carge and that too can cause problems. The regulator / rectifiers in these bike is poor and will likely cause you problems so have a look at the Stator Papers to check things and you may want to think about changing it out for something more robust. Mr. Martchless has compiled a master list of all compatable R/Rs and Shindengens from Hondas are favoured. Lots to do but once you sort through all that she will start run and charge like a top.
    Last edited by Guest; 02-26-2012, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Where in Canada are you?Assuming of course you are in North America.I know of an 86 up Island in Crofton.You per chance?Great bikes,love the 85(Old Yeller) I did so much I'm now doing a 78 Skunk.Invite you to join the Owners Group(see sig).Looking forward to watching your build.

Comment

Watching with interest...

Comment

Invite you to join the Owners Group(see sig).
          How come I never got an invite? 'M I the wrong colour? My bike not pretty enough? I'm not cool like the other kids? I smell and my mother dresses me funny?

Sheesh, a guy could get an inferiority complex in this dump

Maybe I'll start my own group the "750 E Owners Who Got Shunned Group" That's kinda got a ring to it. We can all get fancy tats and colours and be the Bad Boys of the GSR.................cool

On second thoughts I'll just get a new bunch of playmates maybe on the Bird Watching forum, that'll show you nasty boys.

I'm taking my toys and going home now nah nah na nahna!

Cheers all,
          Spyug

PS The newbs are going to think we are all bonkers and of course they are right!

Comment

Do you have a 83-86 GS750/700? You are invited.Been in my sig for a year.You will be waiting a lonnnnngg time for a hand engraved monogrammed invite.This is a close as it gets

Comment

Well OK then. I accept. When do I learn the special handshake and get to wear the robes and headdress? I always liked the bearskin with horns that Fred and Barnie wore down at the Water Buffalo Lodge. But I guess you need an old Zuk WB before you get one of those.

Jeez now I feel like a real somebody. I'm speshul (doing a pirouette in my tutu).

Thank you o grand PooBaa!

Spyug

Comment

Thanks spyug for the info, the parts that I'm specifically looking for are the fork seals (as one side of mine are gone) and the lower front fairing (the ones that sit beside the engine). I have actually bought a parts for this bike before the crank case was cracked. But i noticed from the fische that the 83 has anti dive and not the adjustable ones that I got.

To SVSooke :I live up in the Comox valley but go back and forth to Victoria for school. I bought the bike off of a guy in Cowichan that does allot of goldwing work. It runs ok but I want to make it run like a dream. hopefully ill see you around .

This is a picture of the bike off of a magazine scan.

It Looks pretty

Got it running today a new battery helped a lot. will keep you guys posted on whats going on.

Comment

Fork seals should be dead easily sourced through Suzuki dealers or anyone buying through Parts Canada so just about any bike shop I'm sure Greg can point you to one. They will be the same for 550s and 750s and likely 850/1100s as well unless I'm mistaken, it doesn't matter about anti-dive or no. Have a look at the Bike Bandit fisches.

As far as the chin fairings I agree they may no longer be factory available but someone here may have them. Put out a wanted ad.. I'll look around too.

Its going to be sweet when done .

Good luck and enjoy.

Cheers,
                  Spyug

Comment

Comox area I'm not sure about who's up there.In victoria I know who's who.Doing more on line these days.I'm pretty sure the bike I'm thinking of had the lowerr bits to the fairing.Would not have thought there would be 2 86s on the Island.The 85 build thread is in the sig to.

Comment

Check Z1 Enterprises for new parts on line. If you are looking for parts let me know I have tons of 700E and ES parts which is basically the same bike you have.

Comment

SVSooke asked me to post some pics of the fairings so here they are the decals are a little bit faded and the tank has some paint missing but for how old they are they look in good condition.

I will post more as things come up

Comment

Good news I got me a set of chin fairings should be arriving in a month only about 40$ each also got those fork seals. the guy at the closest Suzuki dealer was a great help. Suzuki Canada had to sort through some old fiches to find the parts. which is kind of ridiculous seeing as the 1983 GS750ES is on the internet and the 86 doesn't exist. Oh well Ill take some pics when the stuff arrives and when i take apart my seals. I have a little project this weekend the front windscreen needs a little tlc any tips. It needs some clearing up and I would rather not spend 400$ on a new one (ridiculous).

thanks guys

Comment

Had a painted screen for mine wanted to make it clear again so http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=162364 I asked.Still crazed but I like it better than the paint.Parts are the problem with bikes that are not exactly the same as they're US counterparts

Comment

Hi all

I did some work on the fairings this weekend some ABS Gluing. I used 1/4 inch abs sheet, some 1/8 inch for the weld rod which is white and a soldering iron as the welder. Took a little practice to get use to the flow of the plastic. It turned out pretty nice, got to do some sanding to clean up but it should be sweet. so the way I did these welds is cut the ABS to shape then spot weld them with the soldering iron with no extra material. then I made a "V' Groove and then filled it with the 1/8 inch ABS that was cut into thin strips. This is repeated on the other side then sand and voila a fixed fairing. here are some pics of the work I did today. These pictures are of the front fairing right side The mounting bracket for the chin fairings had broken off:

I also did a work on the rear fairing It had a couple cracks in it and missing a mounting plate.

Ill post some more stuff next week.

Comment

Working...
                              X