No announcement yet.

GS750ES 1986 Fixer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice, I am assuming this can be sanded out?

Comment

A much easier method than welding is to make up an abs slurry. That is pieces of ABS plastic melted in acetone. Use a glass jar with lid pour in some acetone and ad pieces of plastic (smaller pieces like shavings, chips and such). Allow the plastic to dissolve and stir in to make a paste. Add more plastic to thicken up the paste to a consistancy of cold honey.

You can use it like glue or filler. It is smoother and easier to use than the welded plastic and easily sanded out. Its wonderful stuff for our body work. You can make replacement tabs and such by taking an impression of a good one in play-do (plasticene or modeler's putty) and using the slurry to cast a new piece from the mold.

In the jar with a tight lid it will saty liquid for quite awhile but when it eventually hardens, pour in some more acetone and let it re-dissolve. Works great.

Things are looking good so keep at it.

Cheers,
      spyug

Comment

Not sure the fairing is ABS spyug.I know the lowers on mine are not abs.Had to plastic weld those up.

Comment

This can be sanded out pretty easily , that is what I am doing today. To spyug i got some of the acetone cement glue just in case but i didn't know you could make a goo that would work. maybe next time I do some fairing work I will try that method. All the fairings on this bike are ABS so both methods work I just waned to try my hand a plastic welding. Here is a pic of my back fairing that was sanded. hopefully next week the rest of the parts for my bike come in. What do you guys think about fork seal replacement? difficult or easy because I am thinking I might get the bike shop to do it . However I would like to know how to do it. any tips would be great.

Comment

Hello all,
            I ended up getting the guys at the local shop to do my forks because I have no Idea to do suck a thing and My tubes where pitted so they needed fixing up. as you can see:

This also means that I have my other parts like my chin fairings here:

The only thing is they don't come painted just bare plastic so I am going to do some research on painting them and see what comes up. It would be absolutely wicked to paint the whole bike. but that would also mean getting new decals. still considering what to do. Any suggestions?

thanks guys I will keep you posted

Comment

Hi again was just cleaning things up on the bike when i noticed something my front turn signals are in the wrong spot. I looked at you pics and I notice they bolt on some little brackets. Seems they have gone missing on my bike and the previous owner stuck the headlights back where one of the mounts for the chin fairing is. Was just wondering if anyone has any of these brackets? If not ill just make some out of aluminum on the weekend. Here is a pic its funny it;s taken this long for me to notice.

Comment

I have a spare down here if you want it.Shot me a PM.

Comment

The bike is back together

Hello guys,
                  Sorry i haven't been posting a hole lot but just got back to school so i was swamped. Anyways last weekend I painted those chin fairings and put them back on the bike and also put a new brake line in since one was almost worn through . I also want to give a great big thank you to SVsooke who gave me the mounts for the front turn signals, a grommet and a air filter holder. Started her up on Sunday and gave her a test drive. Then Sunday afternoon drove it down to Victoria from Coutenay (2 1/2 hour drive) and she purred along nicely. Here is a pic of her all put back together.

Thanks again for all your guys help Ill post more if I do anymore work.

Comment

She looks great!

Eric

Comment

Sweet looking .Now you have her down in Vic you got to go out with a certain yellow 85.

Comment

Nice job!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X