1982 GS650 GL - where to start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS650 GL - where to start?

I have a 1982 GS650GL that I'd like to restore from the ground up. I've perused the forums, and all the info is very useful, however, I'd like a detailed, succinct step-by-step list of what I should tackle in what order so it makes sense to me. This is the first time I've done anything like this, and I do so much better with a step-by-step format, and any support would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Everyone does it a little different. Just start tearing it down and see what you've got. You'll discover all kinds of things.

Get a manual and it will help you along.

Comment

If you've never done it before , Grab yourself a Clymers and you're probably better off working on one system at a time rather than overwhelming yourself trying to learn everything at once.
      1978 GS550 E
      673cc swap / the hot rod

2013 GSXR
      New daily rider

2012 RMZ450
      for playing in the dirt

Comment

does it run now? mileage? how long have you had it? Pics always entice folks here. How comfortable are you with boxes of parts lying around?
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I saw earlier that Basscliff is away for Lent so I'll go ahead and post this for him.

Review his site http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/ and read everything. The first link on the left is the Read Me post and it contains ALOT of good information for you. Start there and search out the Top Ten Newbie Mistakes thread to really understand what's going on.

Welcome to the site.
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I have a Clymers, I am comfortable having parts lying around, it did run before it sat for three years, mileage I can't remember, but I've put 6K on it myself. I know for sure that the head gasket had a wee leak bc my leathers got oiled regularly. Really, it's in pretty good shape, but I'd like it to be restored rather than just running, especially since I have another moto (Yama TW200) to ride while this one is worked on. So..... what to do? Take motor off frame? Clean + kream inside of gas tank? Replace electrical connections? I remember seeing on the forums a list of things that are essential to replace/check on GS's, so I need to dig that up. Photos to come.

Comment

I like this wise bit of advice I saw on here:

In this order:

1. Make it safe
              2. Make it fast
              3. Make it look good

However, you want to do a ground up restoration. Does that include derusting and painting the frame? If so, I would choose to get all of the hard mechanical work done prior to painting the frame so as not to damage the new paint. If you want to see a groundup in action, checkout Gatekeeper's 750E rebuild. He has a huge number of photographs that, if nothing else, should inspire you:

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

Starting with the Top 10 Cowboyup mentioned would be a good starting point. When you've got it running well again, start addressing the cosmetics.

And by all means...have fun with it. Commit to doing a little bit of work on it every day if your schedule allows.
              '83 GS650G
              '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

well, what do you really want to get done? Full OEM restoration?

Rebuild carbs and rehab the whole intake system.

I'm not usually one to tear down a motor just for the heck of it. If it's leaking from the head or base then you'll want to take off the top end of the motor and replace them both (with OEM gaskets - particularly the base). Hone the cylinders, lap the valves, new valve stem seals, maybe new rings. If you can get it running first you can check the compression.

While you've lightened it, pull the motor out, remove the swing arm and front end, and see about cleaning up the frame and having it power-coated, as well as the swing arm.

Re-build and re-paint calipers and master cylinders.

How does the exhaust look?

Wiring should be clean. If it's not cut or too grossly corroded you can just dip the brass bits in acid and they'll clean up very nicely.

Tank should be clean. You couldn't pay me to put Kreem in my tank (and my tank sucks!). Caswell or POR-15. Is it leaking? New petcock.

Comment

So this bike sat out 3 years in your possession,but ran Ok before its vacation ? Did you give it decent maintenance- valves, carb stuff ? Lots of places for oil leak to occur and blow back on you- how are you sure it's the headgasket? The cam cover gasket area would be my pick on my similar bike. Do a compression test and see if engine looks healthy- might find a headgasket problem real quick.
                  Plenty of maintenance to catch up on just to get it running right, let alone going for the full monty. Hopefully, you'd be restoring it for your own benefit, as even a pristine 650 would not go for a lot of money. Don't get me wrong, I love this particular model (road tested one in 1981), but they aren't real popular.
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                  X