1984 gs 750ef

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1984 gs 750ef

So, I've been playing around with this bike for about a year. I was going to attempt a cafe build with it but have decided (after destroying the seat) to return it to stock.

About the bike: It's one of the Canadian 750s from the years when only 700s were imported to the US. The mileage is unknown as the odometer is broken. PO supposedly rebuilt the carburetor, but I'm not confident with it. Bike was running okay up until I garaged it in November.

Known problems:
    -Something's wrong with the carbs (I think) as the bike won't hold at idle.
    -The front and rear blinkers aren't working, so I think the signal relay is busted.
    -Rear brake is frozen. I'm hoping it's not the cylinder.
    -There are serious cosmetic issues. Plastics are broken, poorly patched and spray-painted black. Tank badly dented.
    - pretty bad oil leak. Left edge of rear wheel has got oil on it.

What I've already done:
    -Replaced the Stator and R/R with ones from Electrosport
    -Replaced the bolts on the oil filter cap
    -Replaced the clutch cable.
    -New tires.
    -New (to me) odo/speedo assembly as the old one was horribly smashed (when I purchased it from PO)

What I plan to do (In no particular order and not a complete list. I essentially plan on a complete teardown and rebuild):
    1) Rebuild brake system, including stainless steel braided brake lines and rebuilding calipers.
    2) Rebuild carburetor.
    3) Find and fix oil leak(s).
    4) replace clutch springs.
    5) considering replacing the rear shock while I've got everything off, but not excited about the price.
    6) New spark plugs
    7) Check compression and valve clearance. Depending on compression tests, might do some engine work.
    8) Zinc plate all bolts/screws/nuts (except the ones I'm just replacing with stainless steel).
    9) Replace most of the wiring, as it's in pretty poor shape
    10) New seat
    11) Fix/replace tank
    12) Repair/replace plastics
    13) Paint everything that needs painting
    14) New muffler
    15) Polish aluminum
    Last edited by Guest; 03-15-2012, 02:32 PM. Reason: Edited list of what I plan to do.

Sounds like your going to be busy.......

but after all that, you don't post a picture.....Tsk, Tsk, Tsk.....

Comment

Some Photos

What it looked like when I purchased it.

What my bike looked like stock from the factory (and what I hope it will look like again soon).
      Last edited by Guest; 03-09-2012, 11:12 PM. Reason: Posted larger images.

Comment

What it looked like today

A shot with the custom trailer hitch I had made.

Another with hitch.

As I began to remove items.

Box o' plastics.
        Last edited by Guest; 03-09-2012, 11:15 PM. Reason: Added more photos and upgraded to larger images.

Comment

Hey Gatekeeper, I'm reading your thread on your '83 rebuild. Lookin' good and giving me some great insight. Thanks!

I don't plan on doing a compete tear down like you did. Mostly because I'm lazy. Right now, the plan is to do the rear end first, put everything there back on, and then do the front end. We'll see how that goes.

Comment

An 84 EF,tasty.Very rare especially in your neck o' the woods.Not a lot up here come to that.Long thread on the redo of mine in my sig.Feel free to join the owner group also in my sig.

Comment

Thanks SV. I already joined yesterday. Just read your thread. Nice looking bike!

Comment

So, last night I ordered a caliper rebuild kit for the rear brake (ebay, $30). And the o-ring kits from cycleorings.com (less than $25).

Anybody know of a decent and cheap source for brake lines?

Comment

Originally posted by Karstan View Post

Anybody know of a decent and cheap source for brake lines?
                  have a look at this post

Comment

Thanks, GK!

Comment

I didn't get a chance to post yesterday, but I spent several hours in the (very rare!) sunshine cleaning some of the greasy filth off of the bike.

Last edited by Guest; 03-09-2012, 11:17 PM. Reason: Upgraded to larger images.

Comment

Please post pictures that are BIGGER than postage stamps.

Comment

I got the carb kit from cycleorings.com, so I tore down the carbs today using this helpful tutorial: http://www.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage/...d_Tutorial.pdf. It went fairly well, considering how many of the screws were stripped. I had to attack a few of them with a hacksaw to get them off. I'll be dipping them over the next few days while I get the replacement screws.

That tutorial above mentions comparing the jet part numbers with those from the factory manual. I've got some service manuals but don't see part numbers in them. I've got R140 on my pilot jet and 120 on the main jet. Are those right. Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Also, any suggestions on where to source new gaskets? Mine didn't survive the tear down.

Last edited by Guest; 03-09-2012, 11:20 PM.

Comment

The image sources I'm using are large photos. I'm not sure why they're showing up so small here.

Comment

where are you hosting them, I don't think it's photobucket, but check the settings or the host for the image tags and make sure your getting the full image not thumb nail etc, or the hosting site is resizing automatically, check the settings

Comment

Working...
                              X