No announcement yet.

1984 gs 750ef

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I didn't get a chance to work on the bike the last part of the week or the weekend. But I made some great progress today. We had some awesome weather, so I got the paint gun out and primed the frame!

Then I cleaned the swingarm some:

And painted the carburetor caps:

Comment

Originally posted by Karstan View Post
      Hey Gatekeeper, I'm reading your thread on your '83 rebuild. Lookin' good and giving me some great insight. Thanks!

I don't plan on doing a complete tear down like you did. Mostly because I'm lazy. Right now, the plan is to do the rear end first, put everything there back on, and then do the front end. We'll see how that goes.
      Your down to a frame....so much for not doing a complete tear down....

She's gonna look good once it's all done

by the way the link in your signature does not work......

Last edited by Guest; 03-26-2012, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Karstan View Post
        musicman - TFC Plating on Johnson Creek Blvd. They came highly recommended from a friend who rebuilds Porsches and I'm really pleased with the work. Just remember to thoroughly clean the parts first.
        Thanks for the info

Comment

Haven't done much work on the bike this week. It's in a friend's garage about an hour+ away. However, I got over today (well, yesterday, now that it's past midnight) and got the new clutch springs in. I then tried to do a bench compression test but, after a run to Harbor Freight to get a compression tester that actually fit my bike (the first one from the auto parts store didn't fit the plug hole), I still couldn't get the test to work.

Edit: Deleted my question about compression test. I wasdoing it wrong, so of course it's not working.
          Last edited by Guest; 04-01-2012, 04:41 AM.

Comment

Just a little bit of cleaning/degreasing today:

Comment

Coming along there nicely.....some more paint and polish, and you will be back to assembly.......

Nice work so far....

Comment

Well, I spent about 8 hours fiddling with the engine today. I'd tried to do a compression test last week and couldn't get it to work right. After some questions in the Engine (4v) section of the forums, I'm on the right track. I've adjusted the valves, fixed a timing problem (that I probably created trying to do the compression test) and conducted a leak down test. Unfortunately, according to the test both the #3 and #4 cylinders are bad.

Comment

So, ended up pulling the head to find this:

Cleaned up the head and tested the intake and exhaust ports for leaking (using gasoline per the manual).

They seem to be sealing fine. So the problem is either elsewhere or I've fixed it here. I'm a bit worried about the pistons as they don't look so pretty:

However, a bright side to all this is that I've been able to check for wear and tear on things like the camshafts and cam chain. Those are all well within tolerances.

Comment

Cleaned up the cylinder block a bit today. Sorry about the photo quality. The auto-focus on this cell phone is a pita.

Before:

After:

Just going to buff those cylinders a bit and get 'em nice and shiny.

Comment

Hey guys. I haven't posted in awhile. I haven't been out to the bike too much in the past month for various reasons. But I'm trying to muscle through the next month to see if I can't get it close to done.

The main thing I've been struggling with is those darn broken exhaust bolts from the PO. It turns out what I *thought* was a welded bolt-hole, was in fact a sheared off bolt that someone did a ****-poor job of trying to drill out.

I've tried everything on these two darn bolts. On the one with a bit of a "head" to it I've tried cutting a slot in it for a flathead screwdriver and hot/cold, penetrating oil, and vinegar. On the other, I've tried drilling with regular bits and with special bits for removing broken bolts. And I've had no luck. So next week the head goes to a pro to try and get them out.

On the other hand, I've accomplished some other things.

I got the pistons cleaned up:

Removed and cleaned up the valves (and replaced the oil seals):

I don't have any photos, but I also got the new rings on the pistons and the pistons back on the engine. And I buffed the cylinders out a teeny bit.

Comment

That project is coming along nicely.
                        Best wishes on a successful bolt extraction and re-threading on the head.

Eric

Comment

Thanks 7981gs!

Comment

Working...
                          X