No announcement yet.

GS750: White Orphan Baby build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks guys! Yeah... I'm leaving the loud exhausy. I'm still young... i have my whole life to be quiet. Hahaha.

I'm pleased for the most part! Just little things left before i can roll her out into the world and get a good look at her.

Comment

Oh... and my new Shindengen R/R from an 82 Honda CM400T should be here on Tuesday or Wednesday. So no more dickering with the Nippodenso Suzuki bs.

Comment

Hokay... so.

Hopefully this is the last bit I have to order of the 'big stuff'...

- Stainless brake lines (make-you-own). -ordered
        - 530 Chain/Sprocket conversion -ordered

Just waiting on the following:

- R/R
        - Fork Seals

Left to do as far as labor wise:

- Paint the calipers.
        - Make custom stops for the steering stem.
        - Bolt everything back together.

Still need a few little odds and ends... but not much. Nuts and bolts mainly.

Did receive my 'mini' turn signals... need to get a new flasher unit at AdvanceAuto today... and paint my gas tank .

Here's the minis... they look almost identical to the old 78' stockers, but about 1/3rd the size w/clear lenses.

Comment

Also, just ordered all my brake rebuild parts... boots, gaskets, o-rings...

Luckily enough when I took the brakes apart (which were near-impossible to get apart) the pads were all like new, and the pistons were all like new. Not a scratch, not a pit...

So... I'm glad I invested in the stainless lines, and can fully clean out the calipers.

New-new-new...

I think by May 17th (which is my Birthday) I'll have it all sorted and ready to go. Another weekend of tinkering, a few more nuts and bolts, and some more painting.

Updated needs:

-Clips for rear brake hose
          -Rivits or small machine screws for headlight pivot points
          -Side-cover emblems.

Home stretch!

Comment

Paint has been FLYING today. If you look at the above pics, the plastics almost look like a deep purple... the color is actually Sonic Blue Pearl, and as you can see in the below pictures... the lighting really changes the look.

Still needs a couple coats, urethane, and a good buffing. But the color is really looking good.
            Last edited by Guest; 04-30-2012, 01:00 AM.

Comment

Electrics FINALLY finished.

Didn't realize how much the R/R affects spark... Jesus Christ, it damn near TRIPLED the intensity.

Also, drilled out the stoppers in the triple trees... just have to tap them and get bolts.

Here's the shindengen unit, off a CM400T. 6 wire...

It bolted PERFECTLY under the battery, just enough slack to reach all the connections needed. Ran the sense wire to the Orange on the brake switch... ran the ground directly to the battery, and the positive to the harness... all the wires from the Stator are directly to the yellows.

She fired right up and none of the connections got warm like last time. So I think we're in good shape.

You can also see the cool little flasher unit... 10 bucks at Advance Auto... it's the only 2-prong one they had... but it works slick. Had to install it upside-down with a zip-tie... shouldn't go anywhere.

Comment

It looks like your project is moving along nicely.
                I just picked up a Shindengen RR on eBay off a cx500.
                I think the way you described your wiring is easier to follow than the instructions in the pdf I have.
                So thanks, it'll be a big help.

I also got a set of grips from China for $4.99 that look very similar to the ProGrips you mentioned in my project thread.
                Just have a week or more shipping time to wait, but saved over $10.

Comment

Dude... ebay china factory direct has been the way to go... I got my little blinkers there for 14 bucks for all 4. Only took a week. Not bad from Hong Kong.

OH... and more parts came today... and I bought a tap-and-die set.

So, I got my steering locks sorted.

And then my fork seals for a GL1000 (Goldwing) came in... because my forks are the odd-ball 79' 750L forks... 37mm x 48mm x 11mm seals... who'd a thunk-it.

Anyway... since I had all those parts... and I was just tinkering around... this happened:

And then.... I decided to go and get my tank... which only has 2 light coats of the blue on it... no where near ready.

Sooo... it's a WRX/STi...

I can't wait to finish it... it looks 10x better than I thought it would... and it's not even completed. GAHH!!! WANNA RIDE IT!!!!

Comment

You got lucky with your turn signals. Mine are no shows, so far.
                    I ordered a set from China that should have been here last week.
                    They look just like the OEM except they're a lot shorter. $8.00 for all 4.
                    I also ordered some lighted tag bolts that are pretty cool. $4.00, if I remember right.

You can buy stuff from China, shipping and all, cheaper than US companies can ship their items.

Your bike is looking good, very good.

Comment

Thanks man! Still a ton to do... and its rained the past 4 days so I cant do any painting. This weekend should see some leaps and bounds in final touches... chain and sprox..front end finishing... brake lines ... and finishing up engine mounts... I may have to pop the carbs off again and recheck float heights...

Comment

Good news. I'm coming home to:

Fork boots
                        Brake lines
                        Sprockets and chain
                        Side cover emblems

Monday should see my 2x Urethane and brake seals and boots.

Why did I pick the late shift???

Comment

Tomorrow is going to be a fun one.

Comment

Also... Daytime pic:

Comment

Hokay... so... today was eventful.

Didn't get to the brake lines because the stupid 530 conversion kit... (thanks E-bay) was listed with a 106 link chain. It, however, was 4 links short when compared to the new sprockets. Awesome. That, and the conversion from 15t/49t in 620 chain, compared to 17t/42t in 530 chain is DRASTIC. Not so much on the front sprocket (almost same diameter) but the rear sprocket is about 2 inches smaller in diameter. Which is fine... it's a 5 speed... and it'll see highway a lot... but still... drastic.

Anyway, called my local bike-shop, and they had a piece of 530 chain and a master link kicking around for 15 bucks... so I snagged it... and boom. Chain and sprox installed!!

Also, got my new fork-boots installed... they're off Rancho shocks for trucks... which is awesome, cuz they're really great quality and only 3 bucks a pop on Amazon.com.

Lastly, I finally got to drilling and tapping the snapped bolt in the foot-peg hole. So now the pegs are finally mounted up.

So far... so good. Going to tackle the brake lines tomorrow night... sometime Monday or Tuesday all my rebuild seals/boots and such will be in... and my 2 cans of 2k Urethane came today. I don't think I'll do much in the way of paint until tuesday though...

Comment

This was also fun to make:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Working...
                                X