No announcement yet.

GS750: White Orphan Baby build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well the slides are freed up and everything seems kosher... cylinder in #2carb was scored.. so I'm like wtf. Looks like it backfired bretty hard, gumming up the carb with soot. Looked at my jets... theyre not 120's... theyre 102s... damn dyslexia.

So got some 115, and 117.5 jets from Z1 so I can at least get it in the ballpark... 120 is normally big enough to run pods with... so we'll see.

Comment

Go straight to the 117.5's

Eric

Comment

That was the plan... haha.

Comment

I found the old jets that I made back in 1980 for my 750/850 conversion and they measured right between 115's and 120's using drill indexes.
          Should be really close for Sea level.
          TimO. was over here trying to get jetting for his 750 and I believe that we ended up going with the 115's for our altitude.

Eric

Comment

Well.. after disassembling the carbs 10 times, multiple jet changes, timing adjustments, float adjustments, 3 rounds of cleaning the gas tank, and rebuilding the petcock God knows how many times... the biggest running issue... I over-oiled the KnN filter!!! Cleaned it... lightly oiled it...

Left to do: Carb balance, air and fuel adjustments, and possibly a re-jet. It's currently stock setting with 102.5 and stock needle in the second to bottom rung.

Other things that changed... bar-end mirrors installed, top nut installed (it's for a choke cable-type, so I used one of the plastic caps that were in the ends of the clubmans and popped it in... fit like a charm!

Here she is!

And a little 'vintage look'.

Comment

Old M/C gets the axe...

New M/C off an 83 750,

Installed some grip tape on the tank for knee guards:

Just ordered some new tires, and carb boot clamps. There's been an intermittent air leak somewhere, and need to diagnose it correctly rather than masque the issue with carb adjustment.

So hopefully by next week, she'll have new shoes and I'll be able to do a final adjustment on the carbs... full synch... plug chops... the whole 9 yards.

Comment

wow you really did a wonderful job.

Comment

Originally posted by ValorSolo View Post
                  I kinda wish I hadn't seen this thread cause now my work load has tripled.
                  Everything is looking so good on your bike and you've shown me what needs to be done to mine.
                  If we were next door neighbors I wouldn't get anything done on my bike.
                  I'd be too busy watching yours come to life.

Great work. Really inspiring.
                  Me too!! The speed and way you're going at your bike is exactly the way I would be doing it before our son was born. Now I'm limited to working on my bike at 5am or after bedtime. 2 y/o & restoring a bike don't mix but I wouldn't change a thing-

Comment

absolutely an amazing job.beautiful bike that i would have parted out.
                    future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

What did you use on that left side engine (sprocket?) cover? Looks like bed-liner or something. I like the effect and contrast with all that shiny chrome/aluminum.

Comment

Bike looks great...I rebuilt my 1977 gs750 a few years back. I'll post some pics of it as I think it looks great...like yours.

D

Comment

Coolio, Would like to see pics, did you change the fork to a double disc by any chance?

Comment

Originally posted by MisterCinders View Post
                            What did you use on that left side engine (sprocket?) cover? Looks like bed-liner or something. I like the effect and contrast with all that shiny chrome/aluminum.
                            Its VHT high heat wrinkle finish. Needed to do about 5 yhin coats to get an even wrinkle effect. Not as nasty to deal with as bed liner

Comment

Originally posted by ron bayless View Post
                              absolutely an amazing job.beautiful bike that i would have parted out.
                              I was close to throwing in the towel and doing just that until I fired her up... haha.

Comment

Watch the fork boots, they are good for protecting tubes but also good for holding dirt/water.

Comment

Working...
                                X