No announcement yet.

78 Gs750EC Project-Restore with Moderization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got the battery box cleaned up and repainted, & re-installed. Mounted the new regulator/rectifier & remounted the soleniod to the right side of the battery box. Ran new ground wires going from the battery to the battery box & to the engine ground.

Comment

I had some new pictures today to post but for some reason they didn't save to my hard drive......I erased them off the camera before i realized they didn't save. So,.....got more done today. got the front brake master cylinder cleaned and repainted and installed on the handle bars. I installed the 4 into 1 front pipe, the carbs and a few electrical parts. I put a little gas in the carbs and hit the stater with the choke about 1/2 on and it fired right up. I then filled the carbs and a couple of them spit fuel out the overflow .... removed them and checked the float levels and......they were all way to high, so i readjusted them and pressure tested them and with the carbs upside down and float weight on the needle & seat it held 6psi. Reinstalled carbs and refilled with gas and viola....they didn't leak. Then restarted the engine and and checked the system voltage. Perfect, 14.7vdc. Forgot to tell you guys I used a regulator/rectifier from a CanAm Atv....5 wire. It looks like the ones Ive seen many times posted here...though I'm thinking of trying a r/r from a SeaDoo 951DI engine also 5 wire but different wire connectors and i think it is a little shallower and has more cooling fins.

Comment

Here is a picture of the SeaDoo voltage regulator/rectifier. I think i might actually go to this as its shaped a little differently and has more fins. I guess I'll have to think about it a little more

Comment

Been working on the bike all week and have made some progress. I have made a gauge display panel to hold the Trailtech mfd and the various other display lights. I wanted to use my original LED gear position display but it doesnt work anymore(did work when the bike was last on the road). After reading this forum I decided to just do the separate gear position lights. I talked to one of my friends and he is going to try to build a LED display that i'll install later. I also got the the 530 o-ring chain and sprockets installed. I used a 17t front and 46t rear and 114 pin chain.
          I got my headlight today. Its an LED assembly from Truck-Lite. High beam only draws 3.6 amps and low draws 1.8 amps. I lit it up and its really awesome!! This is another of items that is part of the modernization.
          I also today got into the disassembly and cleaning of the braking system.....man those rubber boots on the front caliper sliding pins are a bear to get reinstalled, but finally got them back in there. Have any of you guys done a steel brake line from front master cyl to splitter to the two wheel caliper hoses???

Comment

Got a lot done this past week and have a few more pictures to add. First is the start of wiring the MFD and display lights

Comment

Next I'll flash right the finished display with everything powered up

Comment

The left side of the battery box

Comment

the right side of the battery box

Comment

The left side of the engine. I'll do more polishing of the side once its all finished

Comment

Rear suspension and brake assembly

Comment

standing on her new sneakers

Comment

Right rear view

Comment

Decided to take the weekend off from working on the bike. Only major items left to do are to strip and refinish the fuel tank and the tail section. Waiting for my much smaller then OEM signal lights. I was thinking of going with LEDs but decided that for now i would go with black frame and smoked lenses with 2 wire rear and 3 wire for the front. Have a GREAT weekend everyone!!

Comment

Okay.........ran into a little problem refinishing the tail section. Cleaned and stripped the wax from the rear tail. Then i wet sanded it with 400grit wet/dry paper. I then used some repair putty to fill a few gouges that had been in the upper surface since before i bought the bike. Sanded the repair down smooth, again, wet with 400 grit and let set for a few days. I then used Rustoleum black primer(same primer that i had used on every other part that i had painted) and sprayed on 4 coats over about an hour and a half. I let it set for around 20hrs and then wet sanded the primer with 600 grit. I then let it dry(all dry time was in a warm 75f deg. furnace room) for a day and then sprayed it with Rustoleum Gloss Black Enamel. 3 coats in 30 min. Looked Awesome!!!! Then I was going to spray 3 coats of Rustoleum Clear Enamel(made sure to use all same brand and type of coatings) The first coat of clear was just a light dust coat.....when first coat of clear was on..........it all wrinkled, like it had a reaction between the color and the clear. I used the same paints and procedures on the different metal pieces and they all turned out great. Is it because of the plastic in the tail section.......At this point I'm going to just sand the clear off and just use the black enamel with no clear unless someone can enlighten me as to what i did wrong Thanks in advance guys!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Garand1 View Post
                                Okay.........ran into a little problem refinishing the tail section. Cleaned and stripped the wax from the rear tail. Then i wet sanded it with 400grit wet/dry paper. I then used some repair putty to fill a few gouges that had been in the upper surface since before i bought the bike. Sanded the repair down smooth, again, wet with 400 grit and let set for a few days. I then used Rustoleum black primer(same primer that i had used on every other part that i had painted) and sprayed on 4 coats over about an hour and a half. I let it set for around 20hrs and then wet sanded the primer with 600 grit. I then let it dry(all dry time was in a warm 75f deg. furnace room) for a day and then sprayed it with Rustoleum Gloss Black Enamel. 3 coats in 30 min. Looked Awesome!!!! Then I was going to spray 3 coats of Rustoleum Clear Enamel(made sure to use all same brand and type of coatings) The first coat of clear was just a light dust coat.....when first coat of clear was on..........it all wrinkled, like it had a reaction between the color and the clear. I used the same paints and procedures on the different metal pieces and they all turned out great. Is it because of the plastic in the tail section.......At this point I'm going to just sand the clear off and just use the black enamel with no clear unless someone can enlighten me as to what i did wrong Thanks in advance guys!!!
                                Anyone????

Comment

Working...
                                X