X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 GS 550 Project :)

PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN?

Hello everyone!

My names Joe, this is my first project motorcycle. I recently was given this beauty for free. This was taken about last month... I absolutely love the looks and style of this bike. It has about 25,000 miles on it and runs like a champ. I was expecting to have to clean and rebuild the carbs, but as for right now she runs good enough!
    I run an Autobody shop for a living and my passion is with Volkswagens. I have a big Scirocco Project that I've been building for a couple of months now.

A pair of Weber 45 Sidedrafts <3

As you can see I like Carbs

So I plan on doing a cafe style restoration. I bought some single stage paint already from my jobber. I'm planning on keeping it simple, new bars, new seat and painting my tank/side panels and seat. I decided on my color Porsche GT3 Orange code " 8C6 "

I love the color... I've been reading a lot on this website. I'm learning a lot about this bike, and currently enjoying myself.

is the seat I'm pretty sure I'm going to order.

Also bar ideas are up in the air right now. Anybody have some examples they can share with me?
    I'm going to be constantly updating this thread with updates and questions, hopefully I'll entertain you all!

I have a strong backround in paint and powdercoating. So hopefully I can make this bike nice!

For a minute there I thought you were going to try and slip that volks engine in the bike...........now that would have been interesting

I like the tracker style so I'll be watching with interest. Bars wise I believe there are some out there termed 'flat track"bars which look much like what you are using only lowering down the hand control area a couple of inches. Actually a lot of guys go with Renthal style bars (or similar) for dirt bikes. I guess it depends on your body size and reach.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with her.

Good luck and keep the pics coming.

Cheers,
    spyug

Comment

Put her on my home made motorcycle lift to start on some basic maintenance.

I need new rotors, pads.. I flushed the brake fluid for right now, and it's clean.
      I also need a throttle cable, and I'm having a hard time finding a replacement.

Really crappy cell phone picture that I took at 10pm at night. I painted the exhaust black with some VHT exhaust spray paint, and changed the handle bars. Also did an oil change today.

I was busy powdercoating stuff for some friends. I did a set of wheels for my friend, pretty much took me all day to sandblast and clean them... this is how he gave me them

and after

I need to find a cafe racer style seat I like!

Comment

It looks like new OEM cables are still available:

Though, it looks like you've changed the bars so stock ones might have quite a bit of slack. The pre-80 bikes with VM carbs use push-pull throttle cables. The 79 GS1000S throttle cables might be a better fit for the lower bars but I can't be sure if they'll fit. Maybe someone will chime in if they know. If you want a shorter clutch cable, the 82 GS550M cable should work OK on your bike I think.

Comment

You're exactly right. I planed on re-rerouting the cables through the fork a little more to help hide the extra slack I have from the lower bars. Thank you for the link, I've been reading and checking through here

about vendors, etc... But it's hard when you don't know where to turn. My clutch cable after I lubed it, is working fine. That cable I'm not worried about replacing yet. The only thing I noticed is when I start the bike sometimes, I have to press the clutch twice, sometimes three times for it to start. I'm not sure where to start with that one... it was doing that before with the old bars as well.
          But my throttle cables are shot, it doesn't snap back at all, and the plastic ends are cracked.

Comment

There should be a sliding contact switch on the underside of the clutch perch. You can replace it for about $10, but many of us just disable it (some with prejudice). Follow the two wires back to the headlight bucket, unplug, and plug the two harness leads into each other. You can remove the switch and discard if you wish.

The clutch switch is identical to the brake light switch. You can see how it works here:

Comment

Unless you have a lot of OEM parts to order it's probably better to get the cable from a local Suzi dealer and avoid shipping charges. Alpha-sports.com is probably the best place to look up OEM parts because they still list part #'s for unavailable parts and have a nice parts cross-reference tool also. It's just that their prices totally suck.

Boulevard gets good reviews, their prices are good. They have two coupons going right now for free shipping on $100+ orders or $10 off $100+.

Comment

Originally posted by mike_of_bbg View Post
                Unless you have a lot of OEM parts to order it's probably better to get the cable from a local Suzi dealer and avoid shipping charges. Alpha-sports.com is probably the best place to look up OEM parts because they still list part #'s for unavailable parts and have a nice parts cross-reference tool also. It's just that their prices totally suck.

Boulevard gets good reviews, their prices are good. They have two coupons going right now for free shipping on $100+ orders or $10 off $100+.

I wound up buying this for 30 bucks. New Throttle cables, clutch and a spare brake line. I do not have a local dealer.

Ordered my seat today

I'm waiting for Z1 to get back to me on some brake prices. I need rotors, and pads all around.
                Also need new mirrors.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions for tanks? Something that's an easy bolt on to compliment my seat?

Comment

Seat came yesterday.... I took off a few things in the back, the rear fender , lights etc. I plan on making using a little plywood, and the factory hinges to make this seat work. I like the ability to have access to the airbox, and not have to remove screws and the seat completely to access it.

Still have some work to do, blacking out the forks, the lights etc, and painting misc spots on the engine, and frame. But overall it's coming around! She's running much better now, the more I run her the more she's clearing up. I took her for a few rides already and I was happy.

I need to cut the frame a tiny bit, fit the seat... Paint the tank, seat and sidecovers... Then she's pretty much ready for the summer.

I'm still searching for some cross-drilled rotors, but I haven't had any luck.

Comment

We have a somewhat local dealer- Maximum Motorsports in Riverhead is where I get all my 'zuki goodies

Comment

bike looks good, subscribed.

Comment

Originally posted by Erki View Post
                        bike looks good, subscribed.
                        thanks

Did a lot today!

I fabricated the seat to work with the factory hinges, blacked out the frame, and primed/fixed the tank

Comment

Factory seat lock and hinges work

Took apart the carbs, and noticed the intake boots of course were hardened plastic and cracked into a million pieces.

Now I ordered new boots, clamps ,and o-rings... The question to me is should I buy pod filters, I've been searching and most of the feedback has been negative saying that a lot of trial and error with jetting is required?

Comment

Stay with the stock filter at least until it's running right. You'll find it's easier to test it later if you do (and more riding versus wrenching time).
                            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I'm liking it already! I think I'll just haul oft and subscribe to this as well!
                              "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Working...
                              X