Tour Tank install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tour Tank install

bbjumper and I went on a 445 mile ride last Saturday. The thing I learned about this tank is that when my bike tank is empty and I turn the valve for the tour tank....it fills up my bike tank. It is strange to be riding and see your gas gauge moving to the right towards full. This is nice since I can then gauge my fuel with the tank gauge instead of keeping track of the miles used while on the tour tank. For that ride I had it attached to the metal rack. I made a mock-up of a platform that I am going to mount it on for our big 9 day Yellowstone ride in August. I can now use the box on the rack and my two pelican case saddle bags.

Very nice. Did you T that into your petcock fuel line ? Where did you get the tank ? How much fuel does it hold ?
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
      Very nice. Did you T that into your petcock fuel line ? Where did you get the tank ? How much fuel does it hold ?
      Yes it is T'd into the line between the petcock and carbs. I got it from Tour Tank dot com. It is very nice aluminum build, nice welds and it is baffled to reduce side to side slosh. It is 3 gallons. I got the 3 gallon since my bike tank is 3.2, no chance of over fill on the bike tank. I am VERY pleased with it.

Comment

So, with the spare tank, your range is between 250-300 miles?

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
          So, with the spare tank, your range is between 250-300 miles?

Eric
          I am getting 40 mpg, comes out to 248 but I am calling it 250. A lot better then stopping every 120.

Eric, bbjumper tells me that you might be down our way in May. If you end up getting that bike we need to do a ride.

Comment

This is really cool. I've toyed with this idea since you first posted about the tour tank. I like the set up and glad to see how you've done it. I was wondering about having to sacrifice a rear rack/bag for the tour tank. Glad it is working nicely for you.

I wonder if there would be a problem with getting a larger tank. I also have an 850L.

Comment

Originally posted by Good Times View Post
              This is really cool. I've toyed with this idea since you first posted about the tour tank. I like the set up and glad to see how you've done it. I was wondering about having to sacrifice a rear rack/bag for the tour tank. Glad it is working nicely for you.

I wonder if there would be a problem with getting a larger tank. I also have an 850L.
              I don't think a larger tour tank would be an issue as far as over fill of the bike tank. Once my fuel gauge hits full I shut off the tour tank valve and ride for some more. Once the bike tank is at half full I fill it again with the tour tanks. I do this about 3 times until the tour tank is empty. Doing it this way I don't have to worry about any overfill even though the TT is 3.0 and the BT is 3.2. This would be a good method to use with a larger TT.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Highway_Glider
                HI MiloBramble.

Interesting.

I had tough of similar but with a pump. From the side bags up. Your setup seem better.

I am guessing yours is gravity fed through a valve and "T-ed" to the fuel line after the petcock. With the carburator needles doing their job the fuel would go back up the vacuum petcock and fill the tank.

Your thank being so high would be nearly empty after the transfer.

Cool.

Have a good trip. Make sure you don't snag that fuel line and have a leak. It would be a shame to go somewhere thinking you have fuel...

DP
                Glider,,,that's how it works. The fuel line is run nice and smooth, zip tied along the way. No concern about snags or anything like that. Thanks for the well wished on the trip.

Oh, and it totally empties the TT...bone dry after transfer.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                X