My '82 650L project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My '82 650L project

This is not going to be the story of a long, drawn-out full-restoration project, just a quick report of what has just happened.

Starting with an '82 650L. This is #1 son's second bike (also his second GS), he got it from one of his high school teachers about 10 years ago. About 3 years ago, he sold it to a friend, who used it to learn to ride a motorcycle and get his endorsement. He rode the bike for just over a year, doing reasonably well. Two years ago, he was riding it to Flori-duh to meet up with the carny crew that he and my son worked for, stopped in Jacksonville and called my son to say that the engine was making a lot of noise and he did not think it would make it the rest of the way. My son took a trailer up to get the bike. They carried the bike with them until they got close to home, then brought it over here. He gave it back to us, complete, with title.

Fast forward to last September. While I was in upstate New York for work, I had the opportunity to vist Lurch12_2000 and hjfisk. From Lurch, I got a 650G frame that had a complete lower end engine assembly in it. I knew that FoxyBLankworthy was looking for a frame. Hjfisk had cylinders and a head for sale, I went to meet him and got them.

I got home from New York on a Sunday morning. Within an hour, there was a wrenching party going on in my garage. The first two to show up were Cowboyup and Pano, who were here to attend a class at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base for their work. Dogma, TheCafeKid and kparkfan showed up a bit later. Within a couple of hours, we had the old engine out of the L frame and the lower end of the 'new' engine installed. In the process of lowering the cylinders over the pistons, we broke one of the compression rings. Too cheap to buy new rings and too impatient to wait for them, I opened up the 'old' engine to get a ring.

When I opened up the 'old' engine, I was able to determine the source of the noise. One of the circlips that holds the wrist pin in place had disappeared, allowing the wrist pin to hit the cylinder wall. It had been doing it enough to leave a couple good gouges in the cylinder.

Around Christmas time, I did a little bit of work on the bike. Got the carbs on, but couldn't get it running, so I tried to remove the carbs to check them out. The intake boots chose that time to separate. The rubber parts came with the carbs, the metal flanges stayed firmly bolted to the engine.

Unfortunately, that is where the project sat until a week ago. My son wanted something to ride while we are still working on his Yamaha Venture. I had ordered new intake boots, they were waiting for me when I got home a week and a half ago. Put them on, the bike (sort of) started, but did not run well. Opened up the carbs, found a lot of green garbage in there because it had not been winterized properly (my fault ). Yet another of Robert Barr's sets of o-rings was installed into some newly-cleaned carbs.

The bike now ran, but there were some other issues that needed to be addressed. We were out in the back shed, looking for something and my son pointed up into the corner and asked "what are those?" It was a set of saddlebags that one of my Goldwing friends had given me several years ago. Interesting, but no immediate need at the time, so they got tossed into the shed. We kept looking for a set of case savers that I thought I had, but found the mounting brackets for the saddlebags, instead. The project took a new twist.

With a few hours of holding parts up for evaluation, sketching some plans on paper, then rooting for available parts already in the garage, we decided to proceed. It took a couple days of fabrication and only about $50 in hardware and miscellaneous parts, but it is just about done.

Here is the bike as it arrived back here with a bad engine.

After a couple days of work, here is "Rat Bagger".

Still need to add some turn signals to the saddlebags and wire them in. He is not sure if he wants to bother with trying a rattle-can paint job or not, but that part is up to him.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Looks great Steve; I'm sure he'll enjoy it
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

The bike does look pretty good especially compared to how I saw it last. I am glad I was able to help. Helping to tear into that engine inspired me to finally work on one of my own. I finally had time to pull the engine out of my 1100e this weekend.
      1982 GS1000S Katana
      1982 GS1100E

Comment

That aughta do it. At least until the old yacht is recommissioned.

Why does it look as though there are no caps on the forks?
        Dogma
        --
        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
          Why does it look as though there are no caps on the forks?
          Because "we don' need no steenkin' caps", that's why.

Actually, they are recessed into the clamps about 1/8", just enough so you can't see them.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Good stuff Steve. I always like to see another '82 on the road!

Comment

Working...
            X