Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suzuki GS650 GX Rebuild blog

Hey All,

For a few months now I have been capturing my "progress" of a rebuild of a '81 Suzuki GS650 in my blog:

I am trying to record the cost, frustrations and victories in this process for others to learn from (mostly my mistakes probably).

Check it out if you have time.

Thanks

-Ty

I going to tag along for the ride here. I have one and love it.

cg
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Funny enough I just ran across your blog a few days ago looking for information on electrolysis.

You have outlined a whole lot of work that is going to cost a whole lot of money unless your mechanic is your best friend in the world. There's a lot to be said for putting in the time to make (manageable) mistakes and really learn the systems. I don't think there is much to these GSes that can't be figured out, especially with the knowledge available on this forum.

Tools and such can be a real bummer in terms of up front costs, as I'm sure you are aware, but will pay off in the long run. There may be other GSers in your area willing to lend a hand/tools.

Welcome to the forum. I'll be keeping an eye on your blog...
      '83 GS650G
      '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
        Funny enough I just ran across your blog a few days ago looking for information on electrolysis.

You have outlined a whole lot of work that is going to cost a whole lot of money unless your mechanic is your best friend in the world. There's a lot to be said for putting in the time to make (manageable) mistakes and really learn the systems. I don't think there is much to these GSes that can't be figured out, especially with the knowledge available on this forum.

Tools and such can be a real bummer in terms of up front costs, as I'm sure you are aware, but will pay off in the long run. There may be other GSers in your area willing to lend a hand/tools.

Welcome to the forum. I'll be keeping an eye on your blog...
        Ya, my biggest issue right now is time. When I am not working I have 2 young sons at home, 3 years and 4 months old, so as much as I love wrenching it's priority doesn't usually make the top 5 some days. Thanks for checking out the blog. I'll keep it updated.

OH. BTW, just found a complete airbox on ebay with grommets/boots. Hooray!

Also I do have a great shop here locally with some very good mechanics. We'll see what my time and budget allows. I'm not stressed about. It'll happen eventually. Hopefully I'll be back on the road by this next spring!
        Additionally, I have read BassCliffs pdf on valve adjustment and I have the maintenance manual. Looks like fun and I prefer the work I do myself.
        Last edited by Guest; 03-30-2012, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Hey All,

Here is an update on my timing and valve adjustment work! It's coming along well. Expecting my depressor and gasket in this next week. Although I did not intend to originally, I am doing the work myself and really enjoying it.

Comment

Today I rode my bike for the first time (minus tail section and seat which I am still building). All the other work is done including: tensioner, engine rebuild, timing change, vlave clearance adjustment, new plugs, oil change and on and on. I have been working on it since January.

It was surprising how fast this heavy bike was for a 650 (673 technically). That made me happy.

I almost forgot how much I loved motorcycling. This very short ride reminded me that this isn't just an endless exercise of time and money. There is some light ahead. What I am really looking forward to is taking it out on the highway. Some day man, some day.

The only issue I noticed was some light, white smoke from right exhaust pipe. I did not see it once I returned home and let it idle. Not sure exactly what that was yet.

Comment

awesome build thingy

Comment

Working...
              X