Decisions, decisions !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decisions, decisions !!

My 79 GS750 has been sat in the garage about two years now gathering dust, since I lost my job and could`nt afford to keep her on the road. I`m self employed now, just about keeping my head above water, but really want to get the old girl back on the road. Catch 22 is that while I have a good boss now who lets me take time out whenever I want, there ain`t a lot of money to spend !. I would really like to do a full on back to the bones rebuild, but think the costs to do that properly rule it out, so I`m thinking of a general tidy up. My plan is to strip the bike down, re-paint the frame, wheels, tank etc. The engine will get a clean up and re-paint, the carbs I will clean and rebuild once I get around to ordering the O rings from Robert. New tyres will be needed unfortunately.
    Can`t make up my mind on the engine though, could do with a few opinions. It ran well before I laid the bike up, compression on three pots probably a bit lower than I`d like, but bike still ran ok. It has 67,000 miles on it. In my shed I have a set of new valves and springs, been toying with pulling the cylinder head and fitting those, but guess I`d have to look at new guides then. At the same time wondered about checking cylinder wear and maybe getting the bores and pistons/rings sorted too. Have a new cam chain somewhere too, so debating whether to fit that. Trouble is it is a continuous one so I`d have to split the engine cases to install, so then there would be gaskets to buy etc. Suppose really the tensioner blades would best be renewed too, but are they available ?!. Trouble is, it all starts getting expensive. Can`t decide whether to bite the bullet and do all this engine work, or just clean it up and leave it alone. Any thoughts appreciated.
    "Betsy" 1978 CX500 ratbike
    1978 GS750
    1979 GS750 chop
    1979 GS550
    2003 GSF1200 K3 Bandit
    2000 Enfield Bullet 500
    1992 XV750 Virago
    2016 Harley 883 Iron

If money is an issue I wouldn't be pulling the engine apart as that gets expensive quick. Painting the frame is cheap with rattle cans, even painting the body parts and tank is cheap with rattle cans if you have patience. Sounds like you have a good plan to clean things up and focus on the carbs and new tires. You can get into the block later when you have more money, till then you'll have a nice looking/running bike to ride.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

One thing leads to another doesn't it? I'd say stick to the clean up from the frame up.

1978 GS1000C
      1979 GS1000E
      1980 GS1000E
      2004 Roadstar

Comment

I am in somewhat the same boat. I just got an original owner 79 GS750 with 79,000 miles on it. He did a great job with servicing and although he road the hell out of it he took good care of it. I got it home and filed the points, replaced the coil (which is why it didn't run, hence the great price) and it fired up and ran like a watch. A little smoke but with the stock pipes I couldn't hear a bit of engine noise other than the well documented "knock." I am upgrading with 1100 forks, SV650 calipers, braced swingarm and a full frame off rebuild. I keep thinking I should put a set of rings and a valve job or just do a motor swap but after taking the motor out I realized it is just as easy to do it while the motor is in than out. So I plan to replace the minor engine parts like intake o-rings, valve cover gaskets etc and collect an 850 barrel with pistons and rings and a used head. I will have those parts ready to go and when the time is right upgrade the motor. The barrels and pistons are running right around $100 used on evilbay, a head (750) is about $75.

Comment

Working...
        X