1979 GS1000 budget makeover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 GS1000 budget makeover

Well I have been registered on here a while now, mainly in the background doing research and enjoying seeing the bikes and projects.

I have finally managed to get my own 1979 GS1000E after lots of searching and found this one on ebay.

After driving from Birmingham to Abergavenny I found what was to start out as a summer run around.

Halfway home which was already painful as this thing was vibrating through the bars more than anything I have ever rode only at 70mph maximum, so something was already not right, 70mph front tyre blow out, fortuneatly I managed to bring it to a safe halt on the A40.

3 hours later and its on the back of a recovery truck and we got it home.
    Any excuse to start a strip down.

Any help and information greatly appreciatted as this will be a mega budget bike as not got much cash to throw at it.

Anyway I will let the photos do the talking for now.

Let me know what you think, and if you know the exact model or any history on the bike would be great to hear.

You've got yourself a nice 1978 GS1000E model, more rare than the 79 model that's for sure, congradulations. I'm not fond of the paint scheme but you've got some nice mods on here that's for sure; shocks, seat, cowling, and maybe some other things if you start looking. Have a look under the ignition cover on the right side, you might be lucky and find an electronic ignition instead of points. The exhaust is not stock but it looks good on the bike.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Wow,that's a bold paint scheme.You have a 78 tank,Bike still could be a 79 if it was changed out at some point.What are your plans?
      http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u...00080021-1.jpg
      1978 GS1000C
      1979 GS1000E
      1980 GS1000E
      2004 Roadstar

Comment

more

Thanks for that,
        Here are a few more photos before I started taking it apart this morning.

Miserable English weather slows things down......

Comment

Unsure what I will do with it.

Want to strip it and re - powdercoat the frame and JMC arm in black as original.

Just refurb everything really, the red is not really to my taste.
          It has a Yoshimura classic 4 into 1 pipe which seems okay, but may change this for a Harris classic pipe, as they build them close to where I live and always remember them on GS's when I was younger.

The seat is in good condition so will keep that, just give it a good clean up.

The rear piggyback shocks seem okay, do you know if these can be repainted black?

Comment

Anything can be painted. Get to it... there is a lot that needs to be painted but aside from the colors... nice bike.

Comment

Woke up and had a couple of hours in the garage.
              Here are some pictures as it slowly comes apart;
              ENJOY ;D

Comment

So you have Arvin racing exhaust, they sound FANTASTIC!! if it's a stock air filter and a high flow you "may“ not have to rejet. I ran my 78 1000 with a Marvin and had 95's for main jets but a guy in your neck of the woods ran the same setup with 102.5's. When you pull the carbs apart let us know what's already in there. Things are looking great!
                Rob
                1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

I'm with azr,nice bike with a few nice mods.The red is coming off a pink on my monitor.IIRC the lack of a chrome trim on the exposed front bit of the airbox indicates a 78 as well,choke lever on the left side of the carb and it's a 78 for sure.Can't quite make it out in the pics but I don't see the pull out choke adjuster on the top triple that the 79 would have.Looks like a 78 to me.Should be one sweet ride.

Comment

I like the seat.

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
                      I'm with azr,nice bike with a few nice mods.The red is coming off a pink on my monitor.IIRC the lack of a chrome trim on the exposed front bit of the airbox indicates a 78 as well,choke lever on the left side of the carb and it's a 78 for sure.Can't quite make it out in the pics but I don't see the pull out choke adjuster on the top triple that the 79 would have.Looks like a 78 to me.Should be one sweet ride.

The choke lever is on the left side of the carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                        I like the seat.

Eric

Thanks Eric, its unmarked.

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                          So you have Arvin racing exhaust, they sound FANTASTIC!! if it's a stock air filter and a high flow you "may“ not have to rejet. I ran my 78 1000 with a Marvin and had 95's for main jets but a guy in your neck of the woods ran the same setup with 102.5's. When you pull the carbs apart let us know what's already in there. Things are looking great!

Not sure about the exhaust as it is stamped Yoshimura, pretty quiet unless someone has previously fitted a baffle,

Thanks for the comments.

Is '78 a good year for the GS1000 ????

Comment

Ditto that Eric, I want one of those seats

Comment

The 78's are the only ones with the indents on the tank and tail.Over here they where black with the indents white,hence the Skunk moniker.BTW I'm not absolutely sure but I think all the European GS 1000's came with alloy "star" wheels and double discs.More info here http://www.suzukicycles.org/index.html .The lever on the carbs is the last nail,you have a 78.BTW i to an doing a 78 buget build to,see my Red Skunk link in my sig.
                              Last edited by Guest; 04-08-2012, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X