No announcement yet.

1979 GS1000 budget makeover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to be very careful, my back is knackered at the moment....age and over weight my better half says..lol.....I will be taking the engine out in the next few weeks for soda blasting and painting.....cheers for the info

RB

Comment

Seat

I have the same seat here in Australia.Would like to know if you can get replacement covers.Does Guilari ? ( I think I spelt it right ) still exist? Any help much appreciated.

Comment

There is a company here that recover them.
        But they are a classic bike trimmer.
        I think they make a copy of the original pattern.
        Will find out for you .

Comment

Seat

Thanks Wabbit,appreciate your help.

Comment

Well into a new weekend, got a day off to do a little more.
            Me and ar kid done the final dismantling and made sure everything that came off was in order, so dont look like much but it should all go back together quite well, here it is so far ready for paint next;

Last edited by Guest; 04-21-2012, 10:04 AM.

Comment

looking good, I haven't been near mine for 2 weeks now (have been buying lots of stuff though..lol), back is a bit better so will have a look maybe tonight...how are you going to do the frame...I know your going for black but are you doing it yourself or getting it powder coated/painted...etc????

RB

Comment

Glad to hear your feeling better.

Im going for the powdercoat, as it will be a better finish and more durable, than what I will do.

Will be a few weeks now as we are due to go on holiday.
                So next time I have some free time.

Also after taking the swingarm out and felt how light it is (alloy) decided on stripping this and going for the polished finish.

Just need to find someone who can repair fuel tanks now without over charging.... ?
                Anyone??

Comment

Yep - the frame needs to be any colour you like as long as it's black.......gloss black

And powdercoating is the way to go - it's a no brainer over here. In my opinion I would leave the Marzocchis red though - that was the way they left the factory and it is period correct.

Nitromors will take the powdercoating off the swinging arm ( I presume it is powdercoating and not paint - even easier if it's paint). More than doubled in price in the last year but it is by far the best stripper I've used.

What's up with the tank that needs repair?

The Giuliari seats aren't available new by the way. Best quality seat you can pop on a GS - they're the only ones that actually fit properly for a start!

When you come to put the engine back in the frame there are 3 or 4 well versed techniques that make it easy. If you do a search on here you'll find them (and none of them involve slipped discs!)
                  79 GS1000S
                  79 GS1000S (another one)
                  80 GSX750
                  80 GS550
                  80 CB650 cafe racer
                  75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                  75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Hi,
                    Thanks for the comments.
                    The tank is very straight but has had a previous repair looks like a patch or something, but will need generally sealing.

I will try find the links for putting the engine back in, im guessing 3 people, two to carry and one to locate mounts... in an ideal world.
                    In the real world, it will be just me and a trolley jack..... any offers

Comment

Originally posted by Wabbit View Post
                      Hi,
                      Thanks for the comments.
                      The tank is very straight but has had a previous repair looks like a patch or something, but will need generally sealing.

I will try find the links for putting the engine back in, im guessing 3 people, two to carry and one to locate mounts... in an ideal world.
                      One bloke and a trolley jack and the bathroom towels (sorry, old cardboard box if you don't want the missus to shoot you....) works fine - you'll find the post on here I'm sure.

If the tank is rusty inside I would de-rust first. It might not need sealing - see what it's like - but if it does then Petseal Ultra (not bought from Ebay where there are loads of counterfeit copies) works well and is resistant to modern petrol additives.
                      79 GS1000S
                      79 GS1000S (another one)
                      80 GSX750
                      80 GS550
                      80 CB650 cafe racer
                      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

What is the easiest 17" wheel conversion?
                        Looking to use better tyres with minimal modifications.

Anyone done this?

Comment

Originally posted by Wabbit View Post
                          Hi,
                          Thanks for the comments.

One person is all you need. Easy as eating cake.
                          Just get the engine elevated enough to clear the frame rails on a flat piece of wood.
                          Get your floor jack positioned between the frame rails also with a board on it.
                          Walk the engine over between the frame rails and let down the jack enough to install the rear mount.
                          Piece of cake!!!

Eric

Comment

Working...
                          X