'93 GSX 1100G Basket Case Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'93 GSX 1100G Basket Case Project

As the previous post was tainted by a stray Kawasaki site member, I had to start it over.
    Children shouldn't be allowed on their parents computers.

I haven't even looked at this darn thing since I unloaded off of the pick-up truck a couple of weeks ago.
    So, tonight I thought what the heck, see if I can make this heap run.

I added oil to the empty crankcase, jumped a dead battery that was never going to work,
    hooked the charger up to a spare auto battery and jumped it to the dead motorcycle battery.

Jumped wires from another Suzuki GS model to the ignition wires on the GSX and got lights!
    The turn signals even worked!

Sprayed some carb cleaner into the open intake manifolds and...

I wonder what it will do if I clean the plugs and install some carbs?
    I keep telling everyone that these bikes WANT TO RUN!

Eric

Spent a little time on this today between other projects.
    I pulled some 36CV carbs off the shelf that were from an '85 GS1150ES and as they also are 36CV type carbs,
    thought that I would see what happens. No idea at all of the jetting as they are NOT off of a stock engine.
    Basically, see if I can get it to run WITH carbs versus none at all the night before.
    Several reasons why these carbs will not work on this engine with the biggest being that the bowl drain bolts hit the alternator and
    the throttle linkage runs into the back of the engine block.(Longer manifolds might fix both of these problems)
    Anyhow, here is a before pic of the manifolds before cleaning and installing new O-rings which I am certain that they need...

As one of my Son's borrowed the camera today, no "during" pictures. Sorry.

Here is an after pic with the cleaned manifolds, new screw clamps and button head allan bolts. (6 X 20mm)

The choke is not hooked up so I will have to play with that manually.
    Now for the video of trying to make it run, idle, adjust the fuel screws, blah, blah, blah... BOOM!

Major vacuum leak with the breather/emission control until about halfway through.
    (The gurgling sound.) I just jammed another hose in it while running.

A little more progress anyway.Breather hoses were open until about halfway through. (The gurgling sound.)

More progress some other time...

Eric

Comment

Oh crap!
      I just remembered that they don't run without a tightly sealed airbox!

What should I do now???

Start over?

Eric

Comment

Hahahahanahaha ohhh you crack me up..

Comment

If... I could keep Mrs. Kravitz from snooping around,
          I might be able to teach a few people that aren't quitters.

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
            If... I could keep Mrs. Kravitz from snooping around,
            I might be able to teach a few people that aren't quitters.

Quitters...oh another zinger there!

Tell ya what, I'll quit playin mrs Kravitz (whoever that is) when you quit posting false information....

By the way have you even checked that bike to see if second gear engages?
            Might wanna do that before you waste your time half assin it or passing it on to some unsuspecting noob...

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
              Half assin it and passing it on to some unsuspecting noob...
              So that is what happened to YOUR Suzuki's!
              Couldn't get them to run correctly, so you sold them.
              Got it.

Comment

Back to my GSX project,

Today, I pulled the spark plugs and traded them out with the old plugs from my other GSX.
                This is a representative pic of all of the old plugs.
                Note the .038" gap. Wonderful.

The old plugs after using the priceless HF spark plug sand blaster and with anti-sieze on the threads being careful not to get any where it could get into the combustion chamber.
                Gapped to much more friendly .028:.

I made certain to blow out the spark plug ports BEFORE pulling them so as to not get any debris into the engine.
                Even with the factory sealed boots, water and dirt gets into these.

I started it with what little gas was still in the bowls and it started right up and sounded MUCH better.
                I believe that this bike just might be worth saving...

Off to a fellow GS rider's Wedding at Lake Tahoe...
                My wife asked which bike we are taking. Got to love her.
                Will will be taking the rag-top as we are bringing presents and latter this week we are back to snow/rain.

Eric

Comment

After dragging the KLR home and picking up a gallon of gasoline,
                  I spent a few minutes tinkering on this one again.
                  Adjusted the fuel screws a little and...

Got some more gasoline and tuned the carbs a little.it is starting to like running again after so long in hibernation.

At least it is starting to sound happy to be alive again after soooo long.

More on this some other time.

Eric

Comment

Working...
                  X