A GS850 Cafe / Fighter build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A GS850 Cafe / Fighter build

So, my first bike was an 06' CBR 600rr. This is the one I taught myself to ride on in my own driveway. (First turn around, laid it down in the grass. Go me.)
    ">
    After a year on that one, and about 8k miles, I decided to sell it for more than I paid for it, with the eventual plan to upgrade to something 'bigger.'

Well, a year and two vehicles later, (Now a third as of Saturday), another new bike is out of the question at the moment. So, after seeing Bryan's (SortaFast750) bike... I decided I could have what I wanted.. or damn near close... for 1/10th of the price - and get to learn and build some experience in the process.

As I bought her:
    ">

In the Strip club:
    ">

And:
    ">

Just threw on the sportbike bars yesterday morning.. no pics yet.

So my eventual plan is to end up with a cafe / fighter build.. How I'll ever raise the rear on a shaft driven bike is beyond me.. but.. If anyone has any input on max rear shock height please speak up! The seat is next.. I'll probably just start modifying the one that is there until I find something else I like. I'll chop the rear 6"-8" of the frame and re-weld in order to keep the rear turn signal mounts like Bryan did.

Any suggestions? (No, It's been stock for the last 31 years, it won't stay that way.)

you can do what you like, but around here they don't like it when you chopped up a good bike. so you wont get much help.

Comment

There are plenty of other sites out there.

Comment

That does appear to be an exceptionally nice 850. Cutting it up would be criminal. Can't you find a rough one to modify?
        Dogma
        --
        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

do it. Im all for customization. Subscribed to see what you do. As for the shaft not sure. I've heard some people talk about 13 or so inch coils. Anyway good luck. Keep us posted.

Comment

I have an 850 seat pan that you could use to modify and sell that nice one to another member in need to fund your project.
            As to the shock height, you can probably go 1" longer or so but I'd take care to check that it doesn't interfere with the shaft angle so much that the u joint binds on the housing.

You could also drop the forks in the tree about a half inch, and raise the rear a half inch and basically get the same end product. I'd highly suggest a fork brace and possibly look at installing a steering damper if you do, however, because doing any of this changes the geometry and will speed up steering possibly to the point of causing headshake on hard throttle corner exits.

I'm not one for cutting up such a beautiful example, but it is your bike. I would recommend doing some simple mods to increase its sport ability before any real hacking and see what you think first. They're pretty capable. A know a certain member who would run circles around 90% of us on one of those in stock form...

Comment

I'm in agreement with keeping the suspension stock also. A nice GS like yours that is running the way it should and set up properly with good shocks, front springs and a good rider is REAL hard to get by.

Cheers

Comment

Yet another vote here for not chopping up such a fine example, but I'll answer a couple of questions anyway.

Originally posted by Cixelsyd View Post
                How I'll ever raise the rear on a shaft driven bike is beyond me.. but.. If anyone has any input on max rear shock height please speak up!
                I don't know the maximum, but I do know that the u-joint will bind inside the swing arm when the axle is lowered between 1 and 2 inches from stock, so I will say you should not go more than 1 inch.

Originally posted by Erki View Post
                I've heard some people talk about 13 or so inch coils.
                You may have heard us talk about them because that is what is stock on that bike. OK, it's actually 12.9 (330 mm), but that's close enough.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                  I have an 850 seat pan that you could use to modify and sell that nice one to another member in need to fund your project.
                  As to the shock height, you can probably go 1" longer or so but I'd take care to check that it doesn't interfere with the shaft angle so much that the u joint binds on the housing.

You could also drop the forks in the tree about a half inch, and raise the rear a half inch and basically get the same end product. I'd highly suggest a fork brace and possibly look at installing a steering damper if you do, however, because doing any of this changes the geometry and will speed up steering possibly to the point of causing headshake on hard throttle corner exits.

I'm not one for cutting up such a beautiful example, but it is your bike. I would recommend doing some simple mods to increase its sport ability before any real hacking and see what you think first. They're pretty capable. A know a certain member who would run circles around 90% of us on one of those in stock form...
                  I think I'll take you up on that offer, and I'll have to look around for the other shaft driven 850's around here.

Thanks for the replies. I know that cutting the frame on a bike like this simply ruins it's historical factor... I swore the day I picked it up that I'd never hurt that frame... It just sticks out soooo far.

I'll make you all a deal, I'll attempt to build my rear without cutting first. If I like it, I'll keep it.

She runs soooo smooth.

Comment

After a little playing around.. and framing the foam cushion to my... err, frame.

">">">

Now... Where to go from here?

Comment

The Sparkly poop colored brown is actually growing on me.. I think I am now set on painting everything ELSEv(black), and keeping the brown.

Who else has done it? Muahaa.

Comment

After reading some reviews here on GSR, I went ahead and ordered some new rubber to replace the VERY old dry rotten things that'r holding her up now.

>

Now it's time to apply the DAYS of reading BassCliffs tutorials and remove my wheels for the $30 mounting.

So, if I were to go ahead and paint the wheels at this time.. What color would go good with the brown? I'd kinda like to keep the factory Brown color, as it is in very good shape.. but ONLY if I can keep the bike in matching colors. Any photoshop experts out there? I have no experience with it.

Comment

Working...
                        X