Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Info request: measurements on damping adjuster knobs please

Hey guys,
    So it's become apparent that the little knobs that are used to adjust the damping valves in the later model GS forks are either near impossible to find or NLA altogether...
    I've got it my head that these should be relatively simple to replicate out of some simple Alu round stock. They'd be pretty simplistic in look, as I don't have a bench top small work lathe and Daves lathe is massive for this sort of stuff, BUT what I can do is have him turn down the round stock to the required diameter and then cut to length and drill and tap the necessary holes myself.
    I'm thinking a simple countersunk set Allen head set screw to hold them in place would work fine.

I currently don't have a set of these forks to take measurement from so of someone with a good set of calipers and decent sense of what's required to measure them accurately would mind taking them I'd be much appreciative and would gladly toss them a set upon completion.

What I need:
    Diameter, height and diam of the post they fit over..I'm pretty sure this is actually a "half post" with a flat side, so if it looks like its exactly half then that will work..if its more than half we will figure out what size would be large enough but not too big. I can't make a hole that matches the post exactly with this design so that is where the set screw comes in. Also, if someone could check to see how these are numbered in relation to the flat side of the post so I can possibly number them but we'll see how that may work out.

This sounds like a fairly straight forward project in my head, but without a set to look at, there maybe something I'm not taking into consideration so any input or opinions would be great...

Thanks guys!
    TCK

I have a few sets of those and could send pic's/ measurements whatever you might need.
    PM with what you need.

Eric
    Last edited by Guest; 04-10-2012, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Remember that they are "handed" left & right. I only have a Left so would be interested in a set, especially with the right markings in place.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
        Remember that they are "handed" left & right. I only have a Left so would be interested in a set, especially with the right markings in place.

Ahh see that's what ima talkin bout

Daniel if you can, give me the OD of the knob so I can set Dave to at least turning down some rod ASAP...

As far as "labeling" these guys, anyone have a workable suggestion that wouldn't require a massive run? I've got a plating buddy, so I'm hoping I can get these anodized for fair price without having to make 100s of em...I have a hard time believing I'd be able to sell 50 sets or more no mater how cheap I can turn em out....

Screen printing wouldn't last, vinyl may with a clear coat, but that's kind of cheesy...etching or inscribing would be best, but again, likely not cost efficient unless one of us around here is good at such things. The goal here is to make em, make em cheap as a community thing, Im not looking to make money on em so long as I cover my materials and maybe some of the time...

I like playing with metal. Wish I had more equipment to do it with...

Comment

I would suggest perhaps a number punch set or even just filing in 1 V, 2V's 3V's 4V's around the edge in the right spot...
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
          X