1980 GS550L questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS550L questions

So this is my first post and by reading other posts I'm pretty sure I found the right place for a strange question and a few common ones.

First the back story of my bike... I'm a gun collector and I traded an old Romanian AK that I paid $250 for to a guy for a running 1980 GS550L.

I wanted it for two reasons, A) my first bike B) A rat bike project. I've already put a ton of work into it (new stator, starter and solenoid, tires/tubes, cleaned carbs and installed new float needles, air filter, some wiring, new tail light, brakes and fluid, fork seals and fluid, all new engine bolts, battery, a ton of flat black paint, etc etc etc.

Now to the questions.
    I'd like to find a medium-small sidecar so I can either pack camping equipment, girlfriend, bulldog. Does anyone have a clue if there is a mount for my bike and if not where I can find a reasonable priced sidecar that I can make custom mounts for?

I'm still getting fuel backing up into my air box after installing new float needles.?. I've checked my float levels and synced the carbs with no luck of fixing the issue.

If I ride the bike for a couple hours straight then stop, lets say at a filling station for refreshments it wont start without a push start. (this ones a real pain in the back when traveling)

I planned on taking this bike all over Kentucky for small getaway camping trips and such but I'm really worried about taking it far from home with these issues.

And last but not least I have to get the seat re-done and I'm looking for Black vinyl with red stitching, and the misfits skull sewn into the back rest on the sissy bar. I have no clue what this costs and want to shop around. What kind of damage am I looking at and what questions should I ask the person to make sure they know what they are talking about?

A few pics of the build in progress. :-)

I plan on Getting the kiln hot and painting the engine black then adding flat red accents around the bike this winter but I'm gonna drive it like I have it for now.

Comment

Damn I was hoping for some feedback by now lol. Oh well. I did a bunch more work to the bike but my phones acting up. I'll post more pics later.

Comment

Working...
      X