1981 GS650E - The Blue Bomber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 GS650E - The Blue Bomber

Thank you all for the warm welcome in my previous thread.

Tonight I've been working on the GS650E, getting it ready for riding season.

The Blue Bomber

Meet my iron steed. My 1981 Suzuki GS650E. Or as I've always called it the Blue Bomber.

If you haven't seen my first thread for the low down on the light, but what I consider tasteful light modifications check em' out.

Current upgrades

Aftermarket 4-1 header
    7/8 drag bars
    UMI Pod Filters
    125 jet size running in each stock 32mm Mikuni carburetor.

* Carbs were professionally rebuilt by Action Sport Suzuki in Alliance Ohio. They did an absolutely excellent job.

They dialed it in as close as they could for optimum response and power.

Thing rips like a bat out of hell.

Currently it only has around 15,xxx on it. I bought it with 13,XXX and taught myself how to ride in my parents back yard at first. I taught myself how to ride with no prior experience. I just had the desire I guess to get on the bike and learn. It was stock then.

You can view pictures of the Blue Bomber in my first thread.

I will update this thread as I continue to shine it up and make it into what I consider a bit cafe, a bit tracker/brat, a tiny bit drag bike to make and overall bad ass old school package of a motorcycle.

Just changed out the oil tonight.

Tomorrow's agenda includes

- Painting the wheels black (DIY)

- Polishing the 4-1 header

- Putting new chain on.

I found an absolutely great thread from my Honda days about how to polish up a stainless steel header so I'm taking it slow and gonna make it nice and shiny (fully anyways).

How to polish a rusty or dirty stainless steel header -

I plan on cleaning the entire engine and possibly repainting the front forks black again while wheels are off.

The key and goals of modding or "building" (I use that term loosely with what I've done hear.) this bike are the following:

- To have a reliable, but more than average power UJM

- To let this bike not be caught up in the whole cafe fad. I love cafe's but it is a shame to see so many bikes already beautiful succumbing to it (case in point the CB Hondas).

- To make this a mini "muscle" bike that keeps it's stock lines and is just sharpened up.

Future mods to sharpen up look include:

New headlight basket (Black)

New flush mount LED rear turn signals that will be mounted to where the reflectors of the GS650E rear end are.

Aftermarket Rear Suspension components and a possible lowering (not much though, just a tasteful tad).

Redo seat ( new leather, and less foam - more streamlined in other words)

Paint the tank and rear - Same color shade of blue and have the side covers painted black again. Might be attempting a DIY on this one.

For the record when the carb job was done and the tank was off the bike it was fully sealed up to prevent rust professionally.

I'll be updating again soon.

Is your header SS?

Comment

Working...
    X