GS850 Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850 Project

A friend gave me his 1979 GS850. I don't know which model of GS850 it is. I do know that overall it is in great shape. It doesn't want to start when it is cold, but once I fix the other things, I will clean up the carb and give it a thourogh tune up. Here is the main problem:
    According to my buddy, you can shift it through the gears when it is off, but when it is actually running, if you try to put it in gear, it feels like the clutch doesn't want to let it in gear, and if you force it, it dies. I assume I need to take the clutch apart and replace anything that is worn/broken, clean the other stuff and see where I am. The only warm day that I have had it, I ran it for a while since it hasn't run for a year, but I didn't try to shift it because I didn't know it was going to get cold again. Any tips before I plunge in would be appreciated. I'll keep you informed on what I find.

Greetings and

In '79, there was only one model of the 850, it would be the 850G.

About your cold starting: start by adjusting the valves while you are cleaning the carbs. You can get a set of new o-rings for the carbs from cycleorings.com, the owner of that little place is a member here and treats us will. Be sure to also get the intake boot o-rings and the stainless screws that hold them on.

For carb cleaning, get a gallon-size can of Berryman's carb cleaner dip, take the carbs completely apart, dip all the metal parts (NO RUBBER) for 24 hours. Do all the parts for each carb separately, it will take four days to get this done. Your new o-rings will be there before you are done.

While you are waiting for your carbs in the dip, check your valve clearances. You will need a new valve cover gasket and a set of feeler gauges. There is a special tool to remove the shims for inspection/replacement, some of us use alternate methods.
    For a little bit of help trying to determine what size shims you will need, take a look in my sig and take advantage of the invite.

Our resident Welcome Wagon host will be along shortly with the full "welcome package".

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Update

Thanks for all the intel. Just a quick update. I cleaned the plugs and it purrs like a kitten. I can't get the cluthc to malfunction. So far I have been able to zip around the neighborhood in all the gears while I reaquainte myself with how to ride. This is a good problem to have!!!

Comment

Working...
      X