An electrical issue on the 550....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An electrical issue on the 550....

Well I got a bit done today. I disconnected the antidives and re bled the brakes and now I finally have a firm lever. I also synched the carbs with the Morgan so I figured it was time for another road test.

The quick around the block test confirms she runs and stops right so I'm happy about that. I'm less happy that I have the oil pressure light and side stand lights on constantly. I did do an oil & filter change last week but I can't see how that would have anything to do with it.

I figure it has to be an electrical issue as both had functioned correctly but then went south on the first road test last weekend. Checking the wiring diagram doesn't tell much as there doesn't seem to be any reference to the sidestand switch. I figure it must be something common to both these circuits. Time to get out the test light I guess.

Any ideas folks?

Cheers,
    spyug

I is clearly on the upper left of the manual page 262

Comment

my OP switch wire is thin ad frayed check to see it is connected.

Comment

pull out the bulbs

no more annoyance....

yes I am being a smat a$$.....

and of no real help... as usual......

Last edited by Guest; 04-22-2012, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Well, I got out the circuit test light and have been probing and prodding all afternoon. No further ahead at this point. I did notice that if I rev it, the OP light goes out for a mili second and come right back on (scratches head), other than that no change.

Looking at the wiring diagram I see that an orange wire is common to the OP, neutral and SS lights so I'm thinking that has something to do with it. I'm not 100% convinced however since the neutral light does go out when I get into gear.

As everything in common is in the gauge cluster, I guess that comes off next. Like I always say about restos, "One step forward, a half dozen backwards".

I do need to do the fork seals too but of course I can't find the set of seals I have so make that one step forward a dozen back.

Man I love this hobby

cheers all,
          Spyug

Comment

Spyug, for what it is worth, and take it from where it comes, but I am sure I remember seeing a thread on this very issue a long time back, and as I recall, the problem seemed to be the wire to the side stand switch was frayed or nipped somewher down near the switch at the bottom of the frame and was shorting to earth against the frame/engine/engine mount/whatever.
            I recall it was also a solution which made no logical sense according to the wiring diagram, so maybe just.
            Maybe have a peek, although you probably have already.

Comment

Maybe have a peek, although you probably have already.
              No I haven't and thank you for mentioning it. Bearing in mind the fact that the three lights are connected ( via the orange line), something like that could be causing the issue.

I'll definitely check that over at the next opportunity.

Cheers,
              spyug

Comment

To confirm that the issue is somewhere other than the guage cluster, I connected the guages from the parts bike today. Same issue, the lights stay on as before.

I was next going to look at the wiring from the side stand switch but I didn't have time to dive into it. Perhaps tomorrow. I hope its as Flyboy suggests as that should be an easy fix.

Does anyone recall the thread he mentions?

Cheers all,
                Spyug

Comment

Working...
                X