I am a little late to this game ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am a little late to this game ...

Last November (2011) I received a GS in trade for work done. The GS was given to me as a motor in a frame, some wheels and a big box full of stuff, lots missing pieces and such. I am not a "beginner" when it comes to mechanical things as I have two other bikes in my garage ('05 KLR and an '08 S40) plus many Jeeps in a fairly expensive collection, so, when I was offered this bike, I just couldn't turn down another project.

I have since put the bike back together, made a bunch of parts at work (metal-shop) and I went to fire it up yesterday for the first time. Fuel puke'd out of the overflow hose, so, I tossed in a bottle of carb-cleaner and fired it up again (and again and again) till the fuel was able to work through the system. The fuel is still pukin' out, but, not as bad as before. I'll search through the site to see if my original thoughts are right as far as the pukin' goes and search to see if there are any other things to learn about this bike.

I believe that it was just a stuck float and I am hopin' that the in-tank carb-cleaner solution will really help the bike out. Sorry, no early pictures of the bike when I got it, but, I do have a picture of it on my first test-drive of the bike on a trailer that I built (picture below) that I documented the build-of on the KLR650 web-forum.

Check all you want, but I can save you the time. Look at basscliffs welcome package thats gonna show up and do the step by step full tear down, dip, new orings in the carbs and intake manifolds to the letter and she will fire up without any problems or puking fuel..
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Alrighty-then - I'll rip 'er apart again on the weekend after putting some parts on order with my favorite shop in Calgary ...

Thanks for the heads-up, eh!

Comment

Those CVs are easy to do..be sure to replace the rubber caps over the holes the pilot jets go into also...thats a very important port to be sure is sealed all the way. Get the oring kit from cycleorings.com ( Robertbarr here on the forum). Great fast order turn around. Tell him the year and CC of the bike and also get the new intake manifold orings from him.
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Scroll to the bottom and click on GS RESOURCES HOMEPAGE, then click on carb clean up series on the homepage..thats the 850 series and its step by step for your bike.

Comment

I snagged the .pdf and saved it to my 'puter to read fully-n-completely afterwards. Looks like a well written document from initial glance. Thanks, eh!

Comment

Welcome, good to see another GS getting the love it deserves.
              +1 on what Chuck said, don't waste your money on kits from the dealers, all the carbs need are a fresh set of O-Rings, including the intake boot O-Rings and she will be purring sooner than you know.
              We like pics, lots of them, so don't be shy.

Comment

I have a bunch of pictures from when I was building my "Adventure Trailer" and using my GS as weight on the trailer to figure out how to strap it down. I might even have some pictures from wrappin' the exhaust pipes with header-wrap that I email'd at my dad (he rides one of two Harley's).

Did you wanna see pictures of me wrapin' the pipes or pictures of some of the various metal-parts that I laser-cut and formed ...

Comment

Did you wanna see pictures of me wrapin' the pipes or pictures of some of the various metal-parts that I laser-cut and formed ...
                  Both, jeeeeez some mothers children have all the cool toys and talent to use them.

Comment

I found a picture of one of the brackets that I made to mount the saddle-bags - picture after laser-cutting and forming, hot-dipped in galvanizing-zinc, painted with industrial-paint and then sprayed with truck-bed liner ...

And it looks like I can only attach one picture at a time

Comment

And here is a close-up of that same bracket mounted holding the bottom of the saddlebag in place ...

Comment

And here is a close-up of the wrapped pipes after I mounted them ...

Comment

Open a photobucket account if you don't already have one, upload your pics to photobucket then copy and paste the [img] URL into your post and they come out nice and big, like this, and you can put 10 pics per post.

Comment

Love the pipe wrap! Good work!

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                              Open a photobucket account if you don't already have one, upload your pics to photobucket then copy and paste the [img] URL into your post and they come out nice and big, like this, and you can put 10 pics per post.
                              I had thought of that, but, on the forums that I run, I let average members have way more picture-hosting-space (size and number of pictures per post) and .pdf uploading ability and stuff like that and the advanced members get even more features. I am just tryin' to work within the rules of this site for now ...

If the moderators allow this

If you folks want to see what I did to build my "Adventure Trailer", the run-down (with lots of pictures) is over at KLR650.net ( http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=97956 )

And if not, I won't mind if the moderators erase the link to the KLR site

Comment

Working...
                              X