Engine swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine swap

I am looking for a motor for my 1980 Suzuki GS1000 and it seems to impossible to find a good motor. If any one can help with any info would be helpful. I on a road trip last summer and she spung an oil leak and by the time I got somewhere to fix it the damage was done.

Was that a 1000E or a 1000G?

Makes a big difference when trying to fit one in.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

2-valve or 4-valve engine?

Eric

Comment

Good question. How do I tell?

Comment

It is a 1000E

Comment

It is Shaft

Comment

The only hurry I am in is that I want this swap done for Sturgis. Preferrably before though

Comment

Dunno the exact damage. I ran it dry on oil last year and I believe she seized up. Looking for new motor rather than tearing ths apart and trying to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Leezus View Post
                  It is a 1000E
                  It is Shaft
                  OK which one is it?

E is chain-driven.

G is shaft-driven.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

The only hurry I am in is that I want this swap done for Sturgis. Preferrably before though
                    Last I knew, Sturgis is in August.

An engine swap takes a few hours.

You have PLENTY of time.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

Well everything I have been told is that it is an E model. I can physically see that it is Shaft driven.

Comment

Sounds like you were told wrong. Anyway, you can also bolt in an 1100G motor. I seem to remember reading the output flange on those is different, so you may need the drive shaft too. And maybe a re-jet, if you don't get the carbs. Folks around here have done it, so ask around if one pops up.
                        Dogma
                        --
                        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                        '80 GS850 GLT
                        '80 GS1000 GT
                        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Back to my original question, just looking on any info (wesites, papers, blogs, ETC.) where I can find a good used GS1000 or GS1100 motor.

Comment

Back to my original question, just looking on any info (wesites, papers, blogs, ETC.) where I can find a good used GS1000 or GS1100 motor.
                            You mean like the parts for sale / wanted sections right here on this website?

Comment

thank you tim tom. 14 questions later and all i wanted was your answer.

Comment

Working...
                              X