License plate mounting restrictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

License plate mounting restrictions

I was trying to figure out where to put my license plate, because it would be awkward to tack it onto the end of my bumstop seat, so I did some research. Looks like every state differs, but Illinois, where I live, is pretty liberal. Plate has to be fixed, horizontal, "clearly visible," not obstructed, lighted to 50 ft, and at least 5 inches from the road, and plate covers are prohibited.
    625 ILCS 5/3-413(b), at http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs...eqEnd=62500000

Also, to maintain revenue from all our new red light cameras and toll cameras, there's a separate new law prohibiting the use of (and even the sale of) license plate covers. 625 ILCS 5/12-610.5, at http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs...qEnd=133400000

I also found out that Illinois doesn't require turn signals on bikes, just a head and tail light.

So, I guess I can't have a vertical plate or one tucked up behind the airbox, like I see on so many new sportbikes. Too bad, I kind of liked the one below.

Who's been hassled about plates? What do the other states require?

Dont even get me started about my home state "Maine" They want it in the center and horizontal period..

Comment

Bob, Illinois law is not picky but the popo's will use any reason to pull you over.... I mean any. A few things;

-Do not bend your plate
      -It must be lit with a white light when your headlight is on (ie all the time for any motorcycle newer then 1956 if I remember correctly)
      -Must be horizontal
      -Has to be more then 5 inches off the ground.

WARNING legal jargon below... I pretty much summed up what you need to know, but on my Buell I carry a laminated copy of this under the seat.

According to the Illinois Vehicle Code (attached below - see paragraph (b)), all registration plates must be fastened in a horizontal position. As long as the plate is positioned horizontally, the location at the rear of the motorcycle does not appear to be a factor.

625 ILCS 5/3-413. Display of registration plates,
      registration stickers and drive-away permits

Sec. 3-413. Display of registration plates, registration
      stickers and drive-away permits.
      (a) Registration plates
      issued for a motor vehicle other than a motorcycle, trailer,
      semitrailer, truck-tractor, apportioned bus, or apportioned
      truck shall be attached thereto, one in the front and one in
      the rear. The registration plate issued for a motorcycle,
      trailer or semitrailer required to be registered hereunder
      and any apportionment plate issued to a bus under the
      provisions of this Code shall be attached to the rear
      thereof. The registration plate issued for a truck-tractor or
      an apportioned truck required to be registered hereunder
      shall be attached to the front thereof.

(b) Every registration plate shall at all times be securely
      fastened in a horizontal position to the vehicle for which it
      is issued so as to prevent the plate from swinging and at a
      height of not less than 5 inches from the ground, measuring
      from the bottom of such plate, in a place and position to
      be clearly visible and shall be maintained in a condition to
      be clearly legible, free from any materials that would
      obstruct the visibility of the plate, including, but not
      limited to, glass covers and plastic covers. Registration
      stickers issued as evidence of renewed annual registration
      shall be attached to registration plates as required by the
      Secretary of State, and be clearly visible at all times.

(c) Every drive-away permit issued pursuant to this Code
      shall be firmly attached to the motor vehicle in the manner
      prescribed by the Secretary of State. If a drive-away permit
      is affixed to a motor vehicle in any other manner the permit
      shall be void and of no effect.

(d) The Illinois prorate decal issued to a foreign registered
      vehicle part of a fleet prorated or apportioned with
      Illinois, shall be displayed on a registration plate and
      displayed on the front of such vehicle in the same manner
      as an Illinois registration plate.

(e) The registration plate issued for a camper body
      mounted on a truck displaying registration plates shall be
      attached to the rear of the camper body.

(f) No person shall operate a vehicle, nor permit the
      operation of a vehicle, upon which is displayed an Illinois
      registration plate, plates or registration stickers after the
      termination of the registration period for which issued or
      after the expiration date set pursuant to Sections 3-414
      and 3-414.1 of this Code [625 ILCS 5/3-414 and 625 ILCS
      5/3-414.1].
      (Source: P.A. 86-417; 87-353; 87-1041, § 1; 89-245, § 5;
      89-375, § 3; 92-668, § 5; 92-680, § 15; 95-29, § 5; 95-331,
      § 1005.)

Comment

I like the thought of carrying a laminated copy of the state law under ur seat. You are right, some of the suburbs in crook-county will use ANY reason they can to pull you over....

The law that I have the biggest gripe with here, is that its illegal for people to video-tape the police. The police can use the police dashcam against me court but if I see an officer abusing the authority of his badge and I whip out the camera-phone, Mr Police man is going to try and throw me in jail....I think I need a helmet-cam that is always recording....lol

Anyways, thanks for the info
        Last edited by Guest; 05-01-2012, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich.Cook View Post
          I like the thought of carrying a laminated copy of the state law under ur seat. You are right, some of the suburbs in crook-county will use ANY reason they can to pull you over....

The law that I have the biggest gripe with here, is that its illegal for people to video-tape the police. The police can use the police dashcam against me court but if I see an officer abusing the authority of his badge and I whip out the camera-phone, Mr Police man is going to try and throw me in jail....I think I need a helmet-cam that is always recording....lol

Anyways, thanks for the info

If you are in a public place ANYONE can be video and voice recorded. It is not against the law and is actually a right that fellow Americans have given their lives to preserve.

Remember police can lie to you to get information. Best thing to do when talking to the police is be polite, do not give them any information that you do not have to required by law and not be intimidated (you do not have to give an id if you are not a suspected of committing a crime currently or operating a motor vehicle.)

Comment

I was thinking about moving my plate to the left side of the bike to hopefully avoid the line-of-sight of the red light & speeding cameras that are always situated on the right hand side of the road.

Comment

Yes, it's true that it is illegal to videotape police in Illinois - the police union is favored in Springfield, so cops don't often have to answer for their conduct.

I remember when I first went to China in the 1990s, and was advised that it was illegal to photograph police or military there, and I thought that was just the kind of law you would expect in a communist dictatorship.

On the other hand, the license plate and turn signal laws are pretty mild, and we don't have a helmet law.

And i didn't see any prohibition against bending the plate in the Illinois law.
              Last edited by Guest; 05-02-2012, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChicagoBob View Post
                Yes, it's true that it is illegal to videotape police in Illinois - the police union is favored in Springfield, so cops don't often have to answer for their conduct.

I remember when I first went to China in the 1990s, and was advised that it was illegal to photograph police or military there, and I thought that was just the kind of law you would expect in a communist dictatorship.

On the other hand, the license plate and turn signal laws are pretty mild, and we don't have a helmet law.

And i didn't see any prohibition against bending the plate in the Illinois law.

It is not illegal and any eavesdropping charges would never hold in any higher court as they are unconstitutional.

Comment

Well, things are trending in the right direction. What's the chance anyone in the state capitols will repeal these types of laws?

Comment

I don't even have mirrors on the 750, and never been pulled over.
                    I pass by 800 cops a day, lol.

I've also ridden around with a vertical plate, and never been bothered.
                    Also had a Red LED underglow kit, and I ride right by speed traps at 2:30am, i'm the only person on the road, and he never even blinked, lol.

I'm not a fan of nit-picky laws anyways...so I just ignore them.
                    Last edited by Guest; 05-02-2012, 03:44 PM.

Comment

So, where should I put the plate on this? I don't think I'd have enough suspension travel if I hung it under the tail light.

Comment

Working...
                      X