Scratch built 79 GS 1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scratch built 79 GS 1000

Hey everybody, I have been looking for a bike to build from the ground up, never done this before and I thought this would be a great way to really get to know everything about my bike. Also learn about metal fabrication, engine building etc. My budget is microscopic so it's taken me a while to find something, I had thought 3 or 4 hundred bucks would get me a real sad case but I had not bargained on what I found which is pretty minimal - A frame and a motor in a box. Cost - $200, some expert help/guidance - trade for one block of aluminium, set of '91 GSX 600 forks, wheels and brakes - $120, and hopefully some more help for members of this forum. This project will take a while as I gather parts, money, knowledge, and fit it into my sporadic work schedule (I am an architectural modelmaker) Plenty of experience making things, just not in metal.

The sort of bike I would like to build is a resto-mod type bike. I am too old for a cafe or hard tail, don't like factory restorations and I want to ride this bike as much as I can. I live in Seattle, my previous bikes were a Honda C70, a Suzuki GSX 250 which I toured around Europe on and then a '81 BMW R100RS about 20 years ago which I put some serious miles on.

Step 1 is finish de-tabbing the frame and chopping off the rear footpeg brackets, I will be changing to a mono-shock setup. The newer forks are a straight swap as the central steering shaft on the '91 triple trees is identical to the '79, so I'll just need to fit new bearings.

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Bluezuki,

This should be a fun thread. Thanks for sharing!

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Many thanks for the greeting BassCliff, quite a lot of reading and good looking information on your site. I shall be using that a lot i think.

Comment

Quite the starting point you have there.
        I don't know of too many on this forum that would complete such an undertaking...

April 24, 2011...

July 5, 2011...

Just in time for the GS Rally! (July 9, 2011)...
        (the second bike up with the bright yellow vest IS BassCliff!)

Finished product.

Eric
        Last edited by Guest; 05-04-2012, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Thank you 7981GS, only time will tell how far this project goes. I really want to enjoy this a lot so it may take a while but I generally don't give up too easily. I like your bike a lot, I have much respect for shaft driven bikes. I notice also you have a '79 mono shock project, how did that turn(ing) out?

Comment

That project keeps getting put back on hold as other projects have followed me home and
            plans keep changing for it.
            Now, finally, it will be getting a 1230cc 4-valve engine.

There is currently a 2008 Triumph Sprint in the way of it.

Eric

Comment

Working...
            X