81 GS750 rebuild or maybe a bobber?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 GS750 rebuild or maybe a bobber?

Howdy everyone, so last night i picked up another GS750, this one is 81 with 21k miles on odometer. the down side is that it was involved in a wreck by some dumb ass drunk guy. Anyways, picked it up for $250, 7 hours of driving and $85 in gas, dang E-250 van!!!!
    now the list:
    1. gas tank is dented
    2. exhaust is dented on one of the pipes
    3. fuel in oil, petcock is shot
    4. carbs are leaking fuel to the outside (need a complete rebuild, runs like a$$) also really hard to pull on throttle.
    5. seat has holes in it and the foam is also hard as a rock
    6. 3 our of 4 turn signals are broken, headlight clamps need straightening out
    7. front fender needs some TLC
    8. chain and sprockets should probably be replaced (530 conversion? )
    9. needs new tires
    10. front brake master cylinder is M.I.A.
    11. should probably rebuild the front forks.
    12. side covers are M.I.A.
    13. stock handlebars don't feel bent, but are uncomfortable as ****!
    14. left hand side switch needs replacement
    15. wiring is working, but the connectors need to be cleaned and i should probably re-sleeve everything like i did on my 78
    i think that is all right now

Soooo... now the questions, what exhaust is that? i could not c any markings on it and how do i get those dents out? Same goes for the tank, combination of a bent rod + heat, stud puller and heat and dry ice?

I like the way bobbers look, BUT, i refuse to cut up a good frame (im fine with doing modifications as long as they can be turned back). Do you guys think it would look somewhat decent if i cover up the area where the seat is and mount a springer seat, little pad for a passenger, lower the back end ether with shocks or just hard tail it? (and do something about that tail light .....puke) i would like to have some comfort as i do a decent amount of long trips per year and roads in Albuquerque suck big hairy ones. Also guys with bobbers, how long of a trip can you do?

anyways, pictures in a next post...

Comment

btw, that red shirt was an air filter inside the air box

Comment

Congratulations it's an L! Actually that not too great however it's a 750 and it will be fun when your done. Don't know much about Bobbers... I generally keep my GS's stock...

However I'm parting out A GS750X (same motor as yours and generally very similar) So if you need anything I might be able to accommodate.

Good luck with your build!
        Jedz Moto
        1988 Honda GL1500-6
        2002 Honda Reflex 250
        2018 Triumph Bonneville T120
        2023 Triumph Scrambler 1200XE
        Cages: '18 Subaru OB wagon 3.6R and '16 Mazda 3
        Originally posted by Hayabuser
        Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Hahaha... someone went muddin' with the GS.

You've got your work cut out, but there's no telling HOW many bikes have been that bad, or worse, and brought back to fighting form.

I can dig it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
            Congratulations it's an L! Actually that not too great however it's a 750 and it will be fun when your done. Don't know much about Bobbers... I generally keep my GS's stock...

However I'm parting out A GS750X (same motor as yours and generally very similar) So if you need anything I might be able to accommodate.

Good luck with your build!
            i may hit you up for some parts very soon :-) Im currently riding a 81 750 with a Vetter fairing on it and Krauser bags, dose pretty good, a bit more perky then my 78 750 but the weght of the dang thing just kills it and thank you

DannyMotor, lol, yeah, looks like the drunk Indian (feather not dot) did do some mudding, i went thru your thread a while back, good job man! looks good, and ive learned a few tricks from it

Comment

so, dose anyone know what exhaust this is?

Comment

well, got in an accident this Wednesday, a lady pulled out in front of me, ended up t-boning her and going over the car. luckily nothing is broken but im bruised and sore all over the place, cant squeeze my hands and walking hurts like a bitch. So this 750 is gonna be on hold for a while, as im trying to figure out what to do with the "fat chick" full dressed 81 750. The front forks are bent, front wheel is trashed, one of the Krauser bags trashed, the other one scraped. the fairing somehow survived with only broken turn signal lenses and some scratches. so thats my update for now

Comment

Working...
                X