Dented tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dented tank

Ok so I got me a nice cheap tank on eBay, picked it up for 25. It does have some dents and was wanting to see how you guys repaired these. Any input is appreciated thanks guys

We are going to require pictures.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

pictures or no pictures

I see two ways of fixing

bondo the dent from the outside

or push the dent from the inside, out if possible and or pull the dent from the outside

Comment

There are many more ways, but it depends on the dent. Pictures.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

My tank had afew dents on it from handlebars when it had been dropped before, i couldnt push them out from the inside and i didnt have anything on hand to pull them out from the outside so i ended up body filling them, some people think thats the easy way out but it took me about 2 weeks to get the tank perfectly smooth enough where i was happy to lay some paint on, i painted it gloss black and you could not see where the repairs were made.

Comment

Originally posted by Woodsy View Post
            My tank had afew dents on it from handlebars when it had been dropped before, i couldnt push them out from the inside and i didnt have anything on hand to pull them out from the outside so i ended up body filling them, some people think thats the easy way out but it took me about 2 weeks to get the tank perfectly smooth enough where i was happy to lay some paint on, i painted it gloss black and you could not see where the repairs were made.
            I've seen people go through all kinds of trouble to remove, or at least reduce the size of dents on painted surfaces such as tanks. The reason being the more putty or bondo used the more of a tendancy it will "shrink" enough over time to result in a less than even finish, or depressions in the finish.
            sigpic
            Steve
            "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Sorry guys here they are

Comment

thats got some creasing! lol, your going to need to push it out with a pry bar from the open hole as well as possible, then a slide hammer with screws in the dent, pull it out the rest of the way then weld, pressure check, light bondo ect... there should be some videos on u tube you can check out

your going to have high spots in it , and need to ding them flat with body hammers ect..

another way is to cut out the damage re shape it , mig it back together, its a lot of work to get it factory smooth again ,more than likely its cheaper and easier to get a different one ,unless you find a hobbyist to repair it

Comment

Working...
                X