No announcement yet.

1980 GS1100 Modifications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the look, and I'm glad you saved it. When it's running right, you'll really be hooked .

Could all your lightbulbs be blown? When the regulator goes out, it's a common result.

Comment

All the wiring, except ignition, runs through the instrument pod which I removed. So the light circuits are incomplete, but for some reason the tail light still works. I plan on removing as much wiring as I can and running new stuff for headlight, turn signals, brake light and horns.

Comment

Nice job so far i like how it sits and it looks more aggressive with those bars.

Comment

I rode it some last night, I thought the bars might be a little too far forward but it wasn't too bad.

Comment

I hate wiring/electrical problems

Spent some time friday working on wiring. No matter what I tried, I couldn't get the brake light to work, and the bulb is new. I actually got it to come on once but then it wouldn't go off.
            While searching for custom wiring diagrams I found this: http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/...ll-pro-iii.htm
            So was wondering if anyone has experience with one of these units? Its also way cheaper than the stock turn signal control unit.
            PS: I do have a wiring diagram for the bike.

Comment

Have you checked to see whether or not the brake light switch isn't sticky? Is the little plunger going in and out when you depress the rear brake pedal? Does it work with the front brake lever, or with neither?
              1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

I checked both switches with a meter and they both gave an ohm reading when depressed and zero when not depressed. I got everyhting else to work. As a last resort I will run new wires for the brake light. There is a lot of access wiring since removing the instrument pod that I need to remove.
                Here is a pic of the new turn signals, gauges and headlight. Got some new tires put on also.

Comment

Latest pic

Got some new tires mounted. Old rear was full of slime sealant, what a mess. The front had a tube installed. Also installed some turn signals and grips. Had some R/R and charging issues, ended up replacing the R/R and everything somes to be working fine, except the brake light, still.

Comment

Originally posted by RKM50 View Post
                    Spent some time friday working on wiring. No matter what I tried, I couldn't get the brake light to work, and the bulb is new. I actually got it to come on once but then it wouldn't go off.
                    While searching for custom wiring diagrams I found this: http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/...ll-pro-iii.htm
                    So was wondering if anyone has experience with one of these units? Its also way cheaper than the stock turn signal control unit.
                    PS: I do have a wiring diagram for the bike.
                    I am currently having the same prob with my 1100 e. The license plate light is on but the brake light will not come on. Are you saying this is affected by a bad tscu?

Comment

My bike had indicator lights on the instrument pod that would come on for a blown tail light bulb, side stand down, head light out and a couple other things. So I believe the brake light circuit ran through there and since I took off the pod it doesn't work. It may be as simple as jumpering two wires. I hadn't thought of the tscu being a problem since my turn signals work fine, but it may be something to check. I need to look at my wiring diagram again. I was hoping to nurse it through the summer and remove the excess wiring this winter when I strip the bike down for painting and powder coating.

Comment

Working...
                      X