• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking good sir!

Comment

I think that seat lock is still available from Suzuki for $50

Comment

Looking real good Slowhand!! I'm really enjoying following the progress!
        No signature :(

Comment

Thanks guys !!! She is starting to look better, almost like her old self.

After I got the exhaust on I just grab my beat up and very scratched old front fender. I had to use a big pair of scissor snips and cut about 5 inches off the back of it. The crash had pushed it back against the pipes and the first time I started it after the crash I didn't realize that. I ended up melting the lower half of it. So I just cut the melted part off. I will be replacing the fender anyway. Then popped the side panels and seat on. And then basically went over everything I did, checking for tight nuts and bolts and leaks.

And then......after putting her unused 17 year old license plate on. I took an unregistered and uninsured motorcycle for a ride. I just HAD to ! Not far, only my local streets close to home. Only put a mile and a half on the trip odometer. She felt Great, straight and true !!! Big fricken Grin !!!

I made her legal the other day , then it rained, figures. The new Plate they gave me HAS to go ! That's a story in itself. But I'm going to take her for a short spin today. Nice and slow on the revs, treat it like a break in period.

There is much left to do on her, both side engine cases for one. And pop the top to check the valves and repaint the cover while it's off. But she is derivable now, so I'll put a few miles on and she how it feels. Then go from there.
          Big fricken Grin !!!

Comment

Does the inside of the front fender have a metal fork brace like the 1100s? I need one if you replace the fender.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
              Does the inside of the front fender have a metal fork brace like the 1100s? I need one if you replace the fender.
              the 1150 fender/brace is more like the 1st gen GSXR (bolts are vertical; The 1100 bolts in from the side.

Bike looks real good.

Comment

The 1150's brace is on the outside top of the fender, not the same as the 1100's. It's the whole black section in the photo. Sorry Chef.

Comment

"The rise of the Phoenix." Took her for a little ride yesterday, felt fine, tracked straight , fell right into the corners. Motor sounded fine, pulled strong, no lag, didn't wind her up past 5 grand yet, taking it easy on her at first. I just want to put 50 miles or so on her, which I should have by the end of today, and dump the oil and filter.

Took a little vid of her after the short ride. I can't believe I have her back and running good after all these years of sitting busted up and broken in the garage. Amazing !

http://s928.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=8f71fdb4.mp4

The licence plate HAS to go. When I was at the motor vehicle office making her legal again , the women put the new plate on the desk. I said , "excuse me ma'am , the plate says AMY." She agreed that it did. I said, " ma'am , it's going on my Motorcycle, I can't put a plate that says AMY on my bike, could you please get another one, anything will do ! ". She then informed me that she could not , that it would be awhile before they got past plates with AMY in them. 2AMY5, do the math. So I already went online to my DMV site to order personalized plates. More money !!!...lol I should have a new one in a couple of weeks.
                  Last edited by Guest; 07-30-2012, 02:18 PM.

Comment

By any chance is it going to be PHNX? Or maybe SLHND?

Great looking bike! Maybe throw some seafoam or Marvel in with oil before you change it, really dissolve that sludge once and for all.

Comment

Just great Slowhand!! Now I really wanna get mine done.
                      No signature :(

Comment

CG, I thought of PHNIX but just tried to get 1150E, however I have to have at least 3 letters. So I went for II50E. I'll know if I get it in a couple of days, anything other than AMY will be fine with me.
                        And I have about a quart of Marvel Mystery in it now, I put that in with Valvoline at the start. My intent was to run that for 50-75 miles, dump it and the filter, then go with Valvoline and some Seafoam for another 100 + miles, then dump that and the filter. Then I should be good for a while.

Thanks Trevor, I love what you have done with the lenses and the plastics , I have to go over mine as well. Looking forward to seeing and hearing yours run !!

I got the new/used front fender on the other day too. I found it on ebay, first black one I have seen on ebay ever, though I might have missed one but I try and check regularly. I bought it as soon as I saw it. And funny thing is, I didn't realize it at the time, it was from the same GS Resource alumni that I purchased the rear M/C from, I'm very happy with the fender, the bike looks complete now. Thank you !! Though there is still much to do !

Comment

Glad the fender found a good home...

Bike looks amazing!

Comment

Thanks Joe, it did find a good home !! What's killing me is I can't find the my damn rubber gromet that the speedo cable runs through. I know I have it somewhere because it is in the pics I took of the bike before I started taking it apart. I must have put it in a real safe place, never to be found again. It will turn up eventually, once I clean up and put my workshop back in order. But first I have a huge honey-do list to catch up on as I've spent all my free time on the bike these last few months.
                            I started looking for a new fullface helmet to replace my 27 year old Arai because the innards have disintegrated. I haven't used it in 17 years as I have a few Harley half helmets that I use for the Sportster. OMG !!! $$$$
                            Boy have I been out of the loop on fullface prices. This is going to take some serious research !

Comment

Another great build/repair......very nicely done

Keep the shiny side up...

Cheers

Comment

The new Ignition cover came in the mail, got rid of the old broken and gouged out one. Just one more thing to removed the traces of the accident, now this side doesn't look to bad. Next up is the stator cover, then pop the valve cover for painting and checking clearances. And I have some bar end coming in the mail , used , in nice shape and cheap. I hope they take some of the buzz out !

Comment

Working...
                                X