No announcement yet.

My 85' 1150E - project.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you want to replace the sight glass windows on your master cylinders, I've written up a guide that has served me well multiple times:

Looking very good, by the way!

Comment

Yeah Sock, I have to replace the pipes, their smashed up from the crash. I'm going with stock, I want to keep the bike that way.
      Thanks for the glass MC link Smokin' , I will probably replace the one thats in there when I get the chance.

The fronts basically finished so its on to the back end. Removal time ! Off with the wheel, caliper, MC , chain, rails, shifter linkage, brake lever and the exhaust.
      First, just some mild mineral spirits to clean all the grease and grim off of everything.

Comment

Mild mineral spirits made quick work of cleaning the grease off of everything, including the sprocket and the chain.

I took all the linkage pieces and brake parts into the basement for cleaning and rebuilding the rear caliper. The bench grinder with a wire wheel cleaned all the rust off and spiffed them up nicely. Then a final coat of wax for a shine.

Last edited by Guest; 07-25-2012, 12:04 AM.

Comment

Nice work Slowhand! I have a special interest in your project.
          No signature :(

Comment

Thanks Trevor. I went through your thread a couple of days ago. You've come a hell of a long way on yours from what you started with. Real nice work !! I myself have been having a blast trying to bring mine back to life. A lot of hours into it so far, every nut, bolt, washer and part that comes off gets cleaned 3 different ways and run under the bench wire wheel. Much tedious work but very worth it.

Comment

I got the new rear tire mounted and balanced. The bearings in the wheel are fine, so I just took everything off it and cleaned and polished the hell out of it before I had the tire put on. The rim is in good shape paint wise, the Aluminum polished up pretty good too though there is some minor really small oxidation spots that are in it if you look real close at certain angles. I'll probably tackle that over the winter.

Comment

I had no problems with the rear brake caliper, the pistons popped right out with the air hose, they are in fine shape as were the cylinder walls, just needed to clean out the o-ring slots with the Dremel wire bit and also around the outside of the cylinder.

The first problem I ran into so far was the rear master cylinder, I couldn't get the damn piston out ! I tried blowing it out with the air hose at 140psi, no good. I soaked it in PB Blaster for a day and tried again, no good. I then soaked it in Mineral spirits for a couple of days and tried the air hose again, no good. The damn thing wouldn't budge. So I bought another rear M/C from one of the members on here who I won't name because I'm not sure if he would want me to. While I was waiting for it to arrive in the mail I looked at an old piston from my front master cylinder and noticed that I would have plenty of room to drill a small pilot hole down the center of it. So I did, and screwed in a sheet metal screw, put the MC in a vice and some vice grips on the screw and pulled like crazy and the friggen thing popped out !
                Long story short, I dremeled the bore, cleaned the whole thing a number of times and put it back together. It works absolutely fine ! The other one came in the mail so I now have a spare if I need it.

Comment

I got lucky with the exhaust system which I want to keep stock. Most of the ones I saw on ebay were beat up and way too much money. Then I found this one , I believe the guy said it was only on his bike for 1000 miles before he went with a header. I think he said it had been in his attic all these years, I'm not sure as I bought it last October/November maybe? Anyway it is in great shape !!!! I paid 210/220 for it and its worth it to me. I just cleaned it up , then used my Meguiars on it. I clayed it, then swirl remover lightly on it and finished it off with #26. It looks almost new, no dents or scratches anywhere.

Before cleaning and wax ....

And after cleaning and waxing. It spiffed up nicely !

Comment

The exhaust looks geat Slowhand! I would love to get a hold of some for mine but like you said it's hard to find in good shape.
                    No signature :(

Comment

Wow. Looks like I'll be doing the same to my stock exhaust! You're sure none of that will damage the finish?

Comment

Good reading!
                        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

You totally need, nay, MUST keep the shattered remains of that front wheel. What a great story to point at that wheel, then point at what you've done to restore the ol' girl, and as a great reminder of what even old motorcycles are capable of doing to you.

Looks GREAT!

Comment

Originally posted by Smokinapankake View Post
                            You totally need, nay, MUST keep the shattered remains of that front wheel. What a great story to point at that wheel, then point at what you've done to restore the ol' girl, and as a great reminder of what even old motorcycles are capable of doing to you.

Looks GREAT!
                            That wheel even puts my wall of shame to shame!
                            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Yes guys, the rim did not fare well in the crash !! Neither did the forks , and numerous other parts.

Comment

But I will keep them as a reminder. Of what speed and a curb will do ! What amazes me is that the left disk bent like that in the Caliper. I figured the Caliper was shot. But it's fine, I went over it like crazy, mic-ed it up to the right one, looked at it six ways to Sunday. And it's fine. Go figure.

Comment

Working...
                                X