77 GS750 Cafe Racer project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

77 GS750 Cafe Racer project

So I bought a running 77 GS750 for $550 about a month ago. I just got to where I'm able to put some money into it. The only thing supposedly wrong with it are the carbs. The guy I bought it from drilled out the jets to 'get it running'. Who knows what else he did if he was that stupid but I bought rebuild kits. I started putting them in 4 hours ago. I only got the the air screw on the first carb. The screw is stripped. So I moved on to the needle jet (I think). It's inside the slide held by 2 phillips head screws. And one of THOSE is stripping. I'm extremely frustrated/****ed off and want to light the whole thing on fire. Instead I'll make this topic and post some pics of the my progress so far.

First pic was what it looked like when I got it.

This next one is going to be what it looks like now since I can only upload one pic at a time.

I cut the rear end, banged out some knee dents, cut the seat pan and made a new seat out of it and fabbed that rear fender onto the frame. Next up is clip ons, paint/filler, tires, signals/brake light, chop the front fender and put a new speedo cable on.

Comment

Got the carbs rebuilt and she is running again. Gonna tune her up tomorrow.

Comment

Nice job on the knee dents....Rubber mallet?? I am interested to see how the seat and tail look when finished, as this is the route I was contemplating myself....

Comment

I used a ballpeen and a homemade hammer that was well worn and rounded for the tank.

I got some filler, paint, jb weld (for some exhaust leaks), and some tools to remove stripped screws. There are TONS of stripped heads on this bike. I just got my carbs synched about 10 minutes ago, but I missed my colortune by 30 minutes damn mailman. I can't pick it up until monday now. :/

I forgot to mention there is a noticeable knock coming from behnd the clutch cover (or whatever its called, the one that covers the clutch adjustment.) One of the screw heads is badly stripped so I haven't looked behind it yet. The main problem with the bike when I got it was that it had no top end. In top gear it would only go to like 4-5 grand. Everyone told me that was because of him drilling out the jets. I don't know this is my first bike project. Gonna take it for a test run in a little bit. Have some pictures for the time being.

Comment

Can someone explain how to set the timing on this thing?

The manual tells me to loosen the screws on the breaker plate and use that to open the 1-4 breaker. But its all connected to the plate so if you move it everything moves, the points don't open.

Comment

Make sure you put the restrictors in those vacuum gauges! I made the mistake of not and got crazy readings. You can also tear up the gauges pretty quickly if you don't put those restrictors in.

Can't help you with the timing sorry.

Cool looking tank though. Good job.

Comment

Originally posted by xenoz View Post
                Can someone explain how to set the timing on this thing?

The manual tells me to loosen the screws on the breaker plate and use that to open the 1-4 breaker. But its all connected to the plate so if you move it everything moves, the points don't open.
                The points opening doesn't move, you set them with a dwell meter or feeler gauge and then leave that alone. Rotating that plate moves the timing without disturbing the point setting. Rotate the big plate to set the timing on 1-4, then rotate the other set of points on the smaller plate to set the timing on 2-3.

1-4 and 2-3 may be reversed, it's been quite a few years for me.

Nice job on the knee dents.
                http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I got it timed and running and busted out the colortune and it wouldn't start.

Many hours and a long story short, the plugs were fouled.

lol

I also bought duraglass and I guess I should have bought bondo?

But someone had opened it and used some anyway..

This is quite the learning experience lol. My sportster restore went way smoother heh.

I still like this bike more >_>

Don't tell my pops though <_< he's prez of an harley MC lmao

Comment

Got her running decent and took her for a short ride. Wooooooow it's a whole new bike! Gets up and GOOOOOOOOOOOOESSSSSS compared to when I first got it. I was going maybe 70-75mph today without stressing her. Last time I rode her before the carbs rebuild I was begging for 60mph in top gear.. I still need to tune out some bugs though. She's still running really rich.

Ain't she just an ugly little biotch? :3

Comment

FINALLY got the carbs running where they should be. I had to set the needle a clip leaner, accidentally set them richer at first though. >_>

I finally got that stripped screw out of the clutch cover and set the clutch to the manufacturers setting. Made a difference. Changed the oil filter and oil and I've been running seafoam. Now that I have it running good I can start on the aesthetics of the bike.

The to do list

Bondo/paint
                      New tires (do I need tubes as well since they are spoked wheels?)
                      clubman bars instead of clip-ons
                      Mini Gauges
                      fiber glass a rear end/seat
                      turn signals/brake light
                      Rearsets
                      4-1 exhaust

Comment

Even after leaning out the needle it is still running very rich, any ideas?

air leak? idk

Comment

Just ordered new Main jets from jcwhitney, the jets in the rebuild kit I bought from ebay were wrong.

Comment

I need more time in a day

I'm not doing anything else on the bike until I clean every piece of this thing.

After that I'm finishing the tank.

And then fiber glassing a rear end

Where should I go next parts wise. Exhaust? Suspension? Pods? Stacks? Brakes?

Tires are on the way.
                            Last edited by Guest; 08-14-2012, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Those brakes look tough. Do a rebuild and make some steel lines.

Comment

Working...
                              X