Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rebuild Advice

Hi Guys/Gals,
    Just an FYI you will be seeing more and more of me as I just joined the GS family

So the GS450 that I got was in about 5 different boxes when I picked her up and after watching OCC and other bike shows I'm thinking the best way to go about this is put it back together make sure it runs and drives then take it all a part to paint/powder coat and put new tires on and so on, or should I paint/powder coat everything before i put it back together? Keep in mind the tabs on this bike are from 1987 so she has not seen the streets since the Mn Twins won the world series.

Thanks in advance for any advice
    -mjr-

Hey mate, feel free to browse through my embarrassingly long rebuild thread to see what you're up against.

Putting her together to see if she runs, then tearing down for cosmetics isn't such a bad idea, but of course it could be worthwhile doing the cosmetics on the basics like frame, swingarm, etc. while she's apart.

I had the advantage though in that I knew what state mine was in as she used to be my daily rider until I took her off the road initially...

Good luck and make sure you share with lots of pic's and you're sure to get lots of helpful advice here too.
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Welcome aboard!

I'm sure you'll be getting a welcome soon from Basscliff.

If I had everything down to the frame, I'd pop the timing cover off, make sure the engine turns by hand. You could also check a few simple things with only the engine and minor things on the frame. Do a compression test, things like that. Just go as minimal as you can until you feel comfortable youre not working with a seized motor or something. Give the carbs a look through and get them in order. You'll have to do it anyways.

If you know the engines good I'd do all the cosmetic stuff first and clean/shine up things as you put her back together. That's just my opinion though because I am getting ready to strip mine down to frame this winter and I wish I had started doing that first

It is a big risk though not knowing if the bike will run so I definitely understand the dilemma.

And unless the previous owner (PO) is your mother, I wouldn't trust anything they told you

I don't know if it'll be of any help but here is my project thread:
      Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

Trust Pete - he's a pro at this. Everybody here is a HUGE help.

Good luck!

Comment

I would at least want to know the bike is in running condition, no sense in doing a lot of work and she don't run......

here ya go on the mega welcome package

Greetings and Salutations,

I have not been able to be on the forum much lately and many new members have not received their "mega-welcome". If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. You'll find all kinds of helpful tips, procedures, manuals, etc, in the links below. Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by hjacobmiller View Post
          And unless the previous owner (PO) is your mother, I wouldn't trust anything they told you
          Depends on your mother really

Trust Pete - he's a pro at this. Everybody here is a HUGE help.

Good luck!
          Hahahaha you crack me up Jake! Pro? Not a word I'd be using around me and bikes
          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Working...
          X