frame question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

frame question

Hi does any one know if a gs750 frame and a gs1000 frame are the same?

I don't have the answer, but somebody else will ask you:

What year and model 750 / 1000 frames are you looking at?

Comment

Originally posted by bensuzuki View Post
      Hi does any one know if a gs750 frame and a gs1000 frame are the same?
      Hello,I bet you mean 1977-78-79?
      I don't have the definitive answer (never owned a 750) but I think this should not be dismissed out of hand.Why? Because I was told my 1000 has a 750 frame by a Suzuki Dealer,said the 1000 frame got damaged and they used a 750 frame.The VIN on the frame is etched/stamped differently than all my other 1000's.
      Someone else may have first hand experience with both frames.
      http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u...00080021-1.jpg
      1978 GS1000C
      1979 GS1000E
      1980 GS1000E
      2004 Roadstar

Comment

According to articles I've read the GS1000 frame is lengendary in it's design which gave it great handling characteristics. I do believe it had larger diameter tubing for the frame, air shocks up front and tunable shocks in the back. I would have to E-mail the articles that spell out those differences, as far as what I found on-line this only hints at it.
        It is a different frame.

The Suzuki GS1000 traces its history back to1976 when Suzuki launched the GS line of lightweight 4-cylinder, 4-stroke bikes.
        sigpic
        Steve
        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Hi thank you for the replys, i should have been more specific, the years im looking at are 77-78-79, and amongst many things im wondering if the tank and tail plastics from a 750 would be a direct fit on the 1000 frame?

Or would a 1000 engine bolt streight into a 750 frame?

Comment

Hi thank you for the replys, i should have been more specific, the years im looking at are 77-78-79, and amongst many things im wondering if the tank and tail plastics from a 750 would be a direct fit on the 1000 frame?

Or would a 1000 engine bolt streight into a 750 frame?
            I do believe Eric (7981GS) has a GS750 that he put a 1000 engine into.
            You might want to PM him on that.
            sigpic
            Steve
            "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

No, not without a lot of work.

Or would a 1000 engine bolt straight into a 750 frame?
              Yes - not a straight fit but very easy.
              79 GS1000S
              79 GS1000S (another one)
              80 GSX750
              80 GS550
              80 CB650 cafe racer
              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Thank you hampshirehog, looks like the basis of my project is going to be a 1000 engine/750 frame then

Comment

Just a thought but has any one put a gsx1100 engine in a 750 frame?
                  and how much modification is required?

Comment

Just a thought but has any one put a gsx1100 engine in a 750 frame?
                    and how much modification is required?
                    Yes - an early 1100 will go in pretty much the same as the 1k engine.

What are you trying to achieve? There are loads of other permutations as well.
                    79 GS1000S
                    79 GS1000S (another one)
                    80 GSX750
                    80 GS550
                    80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                      Yes - an early 1100 will go in pretty much the same as the 1k engine.

What are you trying to achieve? There are loads of other permutations as well.

I want the bike to look like a gs750 clocks/tank/tail piece, but update almost everything else wheels/forks/swingarm/brakes etc also i want more power than the standard 750 engine so just trying to figure out the best way to go about it

Comment

You lose the kickstart with all the other engines - and the kickstart in my mind is an essential element of the GS750. To keep the kicker, and the looks of the engine, the easiest route to more power is to pop an 850 top end on there. That, with a bit of other modding, will give you reasonably close to GS1k performance. The square cam end caps on the GSX engines don't look quite right in a GS in my view.

The easiest upgrade swinging arm to fit that looks 'right' is either something like a Metmachex or one from a GSX1100.

Wheels - if she's wearing spokes just change the rims to alloy - and I'll sneak round at night and steal them . If she's an E there's plenty to chose from eg Bandit.

Forks - pretty much anything Suzuki slots in easily. Pick the brakes that go with the forks.
                        79 GS1000S
                        79 GS1000S (another one)
                        80 GSX750
                        80 GS550
                        80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

'79 GS750E with '79 GS1000E engine bored to 73.5 mm (1100 cc's)...

A little over 17 years so far.
                          Soon to be 1114 cc's using a 1074 cylinder bored to 74 mm.
                          The biggest problem is keeping the side cover badges legible as GS750E as the paint comes off of the letters while riding!
                          (Chain guard was off when this pic was taken.)

Eric

Comment

Same bike a few days ago...

I forgot to put my head over the gauges that day when the front tire lifted at over 7,000 rpm at about 75.

Eric

Comment

Thanks for the info guys

eric, any pointers with regards to fitting the 1000 engine?

Picture of my starting point

Comment

Working...
                              X