GS1100 tank and seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100 tank and seat

I am looking for a tank and seat for my 82 gs1100g. Does anyone know which models i could search for that would be a perfect fit? And if not, how difficult is it to make a slightly wrong tank work. Ive seen a hundred guys use different tanks and seats on a bike, but it seems to me that it would need to fit the frame just right. is it a matter of simple trial and error? or do these guys pretty much always have to do some fabrication?
    Thanks for the imparted wisdom!
    Jake

I'm actually working with a similar issue. I've got an 1100g. I had a really big, kinda square tank. It was really rusty, with a crappy sealer job.
    I dig cafes so I have been looking for a different tank. I haven't actually seen one in person yet, but it seems like the rear tank mounting is the key. Mine has a tab with 2 bolt holes where it bolts down under the seat.
    I just ebayed a clean gs750 tank with the same mounting holes at the back. Maybe a 750 is too narrow, (I got it really cheap, with sender) but I think an 850 or 1000 tank should work no problems. But there's many different models and mounting types.
    I'll post here when the tank comes in and post a pic of how is mounts up..
    I'm probably gonna go with a cafe style seat made for a BMW R90, or Maybe a cb750. Basically a cafe style seat for a big bike should work out good, but there will have to be alot of mods to make a non standard seat fit good.
    I just need to bite the bullet and get a good seat in hand and then make it fit....
    Last edited by Guest; 09-03-2012, 08:40 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

For the "perfect fit", you need to restrain your search to '82 and '83 GS850G and GS1100G.

An 1100GK seat might fit, I don't know if there is a difference in the mount or not. The top of the seat is different, though.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

best cross ref site I've been able to find...

click the part on the fisce and it'll show you all the bikes that use that part. for the tank it looks like steve on on the mark here

Comment

My '82 GK seat is a perfect fit on my '83 1100G.

Comment

Surely you've checked E-bay. Here's a '83 GS850 tank. perhaps it'll fit.
            sigpic
            Steve
            "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Working...
            X