'82 Suzuki GS1100G ~ Back to OE we go!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'82 Suzuki GS1100G ~ Back to OE we go!

Hi, from Minnesota! A little back story; I have a 1982 Suzuki GS1100G. My Dad originally bought it, and then sold it to me. It's been a great bike so far. I've gone out to Mount Rushmore, and Mesa Verde, Colorado, so far on it. It has 21k miles as of right now. It's in great shape overall.

Anyways, as you can see from the pictures, it's got the awfully ugly Vetter Windjammer attire on it. It was purchased this way, and it's served it's purpose well, however now I'd like to take it all back to original for the most part. It was purchased with the Vetter attire, so unfortunately, I'm in need of some parts. I'm not sure if this forum community requires a certain amount of posts in order to post in the FS subforums, or not? If so, I understand, but hopefully not (doesn't appear to be).

Pics:

Desired before and after (my bike is on the left, saddle bags aren't on).

Bike with Vetter saddle bags on (too big for thread).

As I mentioned before the plan to go back to all OEM parts (for the most part). All the Windjammer additions will be taken off, replaced with a lower profile, easily removed windshield, lower handle bar (not too extreme), and some sport vinyl saddle bags.

I'm not entirely sure all I need. So, if anyone has experience removing the Vetter equipment, tips would be greatly appreciated.

I know for a fact I need, rear turn signal brackets (22-23). I believe, I need a cushion too, and possibly some nuts and washers.

Edit:
    Forgot to add I need front turn signals, and the installation hardware for them. Looks like the brackets are on still, just need screws, washers, nuts, etc.

I have the majority of this right now. Missing 2 thru 7, as far as I know.

I need... all of this headlamp assembly? Not sure.

Front reflectors that go under the turn signals.

A seat! Seems to be hardest part to find. I really like the GS1100GK seat. Looks great,

The Suzuki emblem (one that goes on the front fork).

All of I can think off the top the head. I haven't removed anything yet, so might all change. Not a mega big project, but I'll be sure to post before and after pics.

Thanks for reading!

Kevin
    Last edited by Guest; 08-25-2012, 11:50 AM. Reason: Added front turn signals

Comment

Your location?

Eric

Comment

Sauk Rapids, Minnesota.

Comment

This bike you're looking to emulate looks fantastic (I'd have even slightly lower bars), as does your starting platform.
          This'll be good!
          I may have rear turn signal bracket (22-23) .. let me confirm and get back.

Originally posted by Ice View Post

Comment

Originally posted by ptexotik View Post
            This bike you're looking to emulate looks fantastic (I'd have even slightly lower bars), as does your starting platform.
            This'll be good!
            Yea, I might have to try out a few handle bars. I want a little lean, but not too much where it gets overly uncomfortable. Not sure where the sweet spot is. Ha.

Alright, that would be great. Thanks!

Comment

Bikemaster Daytona handlebars are one of the forum favorites here. A little rise and pull back, but way less than stock.

Bike looks good. You will need a head lamp bucket after removing the fairing but that shouldn't be that hard to find.

Good luck.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Welcome to the forum and that's a great looking bike. I love it. Glad that you are taking it back to stock.

You will find two things here:

1) A lot of help from people who are genuinely interested in you and your bike.

2) That the only thing required is a decent attitude, lots of pictures (we don't like to read), and not to be wrapped too tight (welcome to the looney bin).

Glad to have you on board.

Comment

Ice, I believe that I sent you an E-mail about a seat pan but I also have a GK seat that could be available as well.
                  For a little encouragement, this is what my bike looked like less than 3 month's earlier than the picture you posted...

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                    Bikemaster Daytona handlebars are one of the forum favorites here. A little rise and pull back, but way less than stock.

Bike looks good. You will need a head lamp bucket after removing the fairing but that shouldn't be that hard to find.

Good luck.
                    The Daytona bars do look good. Whats the verdict on the black or chrome ones?

Thanks!

Originally posted by old_skool
                    If pt doesen't have these, I know I do, and Eric, 7981GS I believe may have the exact seat your looking for, check with him.

I'm also going to the MC boneyard today, I'll see if I can find the headlight hardware
                    Will do, thanks!

I went with a set of 92 xj600 seca II Yamaha bars with their bar end weights and aftermarket wide mirrors on the same bike

looks a little different than yours because I also used 78 1000 gauges
                    Looks, good man!

Originally posted by Good Times View Post
                    Welcome to the forum and that's a great looking bike. I love it. Glad that you are taking it back to stock.

You will find two things here:

1) A lot of help from people who are genuinely interested in you and your bike.

2) That the only thing required is a decent attitude, lots of pictures (we don't like to read), and not to be wrapped too tight (welcome to the looney bin).

Glad to have you on board.
                    Thanks! Glad to join the looney bin! :P

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                    Ice, I believe that I sent you an E-mail about a seat pan but I also have a GK seat that could be available as well.
                    For a little encouragement, this is what my bike looked like less than 3 month's earlier than the picture you posted...

Eric
                    Looks good! Can't imagine how much work it was scavenging for all the parts. I suppose being on the forums helped a lot though. What kind of condition is the seat in?

I forgot to mention that I need front turn signals as well. The brackets are still there, just not the screws, washers, etc.
                    Last edited by Guest; 08-25-2012, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Couple questions for you all since I'm not entirely sure...

Got some turn signals for cheap off of ebay. They are in good condition, however I don't have 8-11 (washer, lead wire, locking washer, nut). Is this something I can get at my local hardware store? $2.97 for a single washer is ridiculous.

Also, I'm in need of the fork emblem as seen here. Where can I find one?

I'm buying the headlamp assembly Thursday. My Dad (Goldwing) and I are taking our bikes over to the Rock Falls Raceway on the 15th. The 16th is an all motorcycle race day. The goal is to have all the vetter stuff off by that weekend. I have a few weeks. Hope to see some of you there!

Comment

Originally posted by ptexotik View Post
                        FALSE ALARM: I do NOT have this square-cushioned style bracket.
                        Good luck!

Comment

No luck on the exact Suzuki headlight hardware, I did see some very similar hardware from other brand bikes, it would be mostly the same with the exception of the inside nut which may not fit in your headlight bucket channel.

pm if you still need oem rear signal mounting brackets.

I may head back to the boneyard this Sat.
                          No worries, thanks though! I do need the brackets. I'll send you a pm shortly.

Comment

I can't find a model for the front fork reflectors. Does anyone know if this is the correct thread for my bike (gs1100g)? link

Otherwise I found these, which someone claimed they fit on his '83 Suzuki, so maybe those would work as well. They are about the same price, just not OEM. Need amber ones, but here's the review for the red reflectors. Found them here as which claims it's a 5mm stud.

Thanks!

Still need rear turn signal brackets, by the way!
                            Last edited by Guest; 08-30-2012, 01:33 AM.

Comment

FWIW I used Renthal ultra-lows bars on my '82 GS1100G and they are perfect for me. Your bike looks fantastic - I wish mine had started like that! Mine was a wreck when I first got it. I like what you are doing.

Comment

Working...
                              X