'82 Suzuki GS1100G ~ Back to OE we go!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ice View Post
    I can't find a model for the front fork reflectors. Does anyone know if this is the correct thread for my bike (gs1100g)? link

Thanks!

Still need rear turn signal brackets, by the way!
    One thing you can do is cross-check the parts numbers. I would imagine they used those same reflectors on a number of bikes.

Here's a place that has them in stock:

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyR View Post
      FWIW I used on my '82 GS1100G and they are perfect for me. Your bike looks fantastic - I wish mine had started like that! Mine was a wreck when I first got it. I like what you are doing.
      Thanks! Do you have a picture by any chance? I don't want something too low.

Originally posted by Good Times View Post
      One thing you can do is cross-check the parts numbers. I would imagine they used those same reflectors on a number of bikes.

Here's a place that has them in stock:

http://www.powersportspro.com/pages/...001/5602410048
      Thanks! I couldn't find it. I guess I was only looking at the Model D steering stem.

Comment

How crucial is getting exact rear turn signal brackets? The rear signals on there are originals, to the best of my knowledge.

Comment

How crucial is getting exact rear turn signal brackets? The rear signals on there are originals, to the best of my knowledge.
          for function, not crucial at all! Just 'jimmy' your own, and 'paint it black'. (allowing you to customise exactly where they'll hang)

Comment

Bought some brackets off of eBay for 40 bucks. I had to buy them with the turn signals, so I have spares. The brackets look a slightly rusty, but thankfully I have a machine shop/sandblaster at my disposal. I also bought some front turn signals, and the headlight assembly. I have everything to take off the vetter fairings this coming week. Exciting!

Comment

I have everything to take off the vetter fairings this coming week. Exciting!

Yea! cancel that monstrosity!!
              (re your bar search ... if you click on my album in my Profile ... there's an example of: Renthal 7/8 Ultra Low , shown on the blue/white bike)

And here's JimmyR's bike which I believe also has these bars

Comment

This bike will be gorgeous once the vetter stuff is off and you give it a good cleaning. The black and gold paint scheme is classic and one of the best looking ones (of course I am baised having a black and gold 82 850G ;-)). BTW if you are looking to get rid of the king and queen saddle, the seat pan from 1982-84 850G, 1100G, and 1100GK will all fit on perfectly. The bike Eric posted up has a GK seat on it which is more saddle shaped than the other G seats. Good luck on the project, can`t wait to see it finished!

Comment

Originally posted by ptexotik View Post
                  Yea! cancel that monstrosity!!
                  (re your bar search ... if you click on my album in my Profile ... there's an example of: Renthal 7/8 Ultra Low , shown on the blue/white bike)

And here's JimmyR's bike which I believe also has these bars
                  http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ghlight=jimmyr
                  That's a really nice bike, man! Would you say over an extended period of time (3ish+ hours) riding in that position with those bars would get uncomfortable, or no? If not, I would be all for them. They look good.

Originally posted by Tim Tom View Post
                  This bike will be gorgeous once the vetter stuff is off and you give it a good cleaning. The black and gold paint scheme is classic and one of the best looking ones (of course I am baised having a black and gold 82 850G ;-)). BTW if you are looking to get rid of the king and queen saddle, the seat pan from 1982-84 850G, 1100G, and 1100GK will all fit on perfectly. The bike Eric posted up has a GK seat on it which is more saddle shaped than the other G seats. Good luck on the project, can`t wait to see it finished!
                  It definitely will! Haha. I am looking to get a new seat, but not in any rush. I have all winter to scavenge for one. Unfortunately, there's not a whole lot of riding time left here in Minnesota.

Comment

Forgot to mention that the light for High/low beam has gone out. So that's another small thing to do. I don't think it should be too difficult to replace. I haven't explored around the, thegsresources, much, but I'm part of the Acura Legend forums, so I'm assuming you guys have a wiki dedicated to how to's and general info as well? I'd gladly help put one together.
                    Last edited by Guest; 08-31-2012, 11:47 PM.

Comment

Would you say over an extended period of time (3ish+ hours) riding in that position with those bars would get uncomfortable, or no?
                      Not uncomfortable for me (I have long arms), but your experience may be a complete 180 (!?)
                      ie too many unknown variables for me to make a claim on your behalf.

Comment

Originally posted by ptexotik View Post
                        Not uncomfortable for me (I have long arms), but your experience may be a complete 180 (!?)
                        ie too many unknown variables for me to make a claim on your behalf.
                        I'm 6 foot, 165 Pounds, so no tummy to worry about and everyone hates my long arms (basketball) so should be fine then haha. I'll probably end up getting those then.

The front turn signals I bought off eBay were stated as, "no cracks or damage in the front turn signals." Well I got them and the lens were horribly cracked/damaged and the other side was scratched real bad and damaged too. So, I get to go through a dispute. Lovely.

The rear brackets I bought are coming with rear turn signals (had to buy it together), so maybe those will work for the front. They are square.
                        Last edited by Guest; 09-03-2012, 05:49 PM.

Comment

HELP: The turn signals will not come off the Vetter mounting bracket (back). They seem to be frozen/stuck. I'm worried about twisting too much because that might break the cables for the turn signals. The turn signal mounting brackets I bought as a "combo" aka they are still attached to the turn signals, so I fear that they too are stuck. Should I just use some liquid wrench type of stuff or what?

I'll save the most exciting stuff for last, but I bought these off ebay. They are the GS1100GKZ Rear passenger mounts and pegs. I needed some pegs, and I wanted ones that flip, so I got them.

Probably seen around here before, but here they are on a 1100g,

Click on pic for a bigger picture. ALSO the seat I decided I want!

Very cool right?

Also, I will have square turn signals for the both the front and back, so I was thinking it would be fitting to get square mirrors at some time.

I'll be getting the Renthal Ultra Low bars soon.

I also got the headlight in, and it's in great shape! Unfortunately, the cables on my bike have been cut into to accommodate the Vetter accessories/lights so, I'll be doing some soldering work. The installer didn't even solder them! Held together with duct tape.

I'm looking for suggestions on low profile saddle bags. Sporty kind. Not gawdy Harley black leather with big buckle kinds.

Lastly,

I took off the front and back badness! I have an album here.

Here's a couple pics,

So it's looks great! Good start. The seat doesn't look awesome or anything, but I have awhile to find one.

Thanks for reading!

Comment

Ordered the Renthal handlebar!

Comment

I weighed all the Vetter stuff. I lost around 75 pounds. That's enough to go close to a second faster on the drag strip! Awesome!

Comment

Footpegs will be nice touch.
                                For saddlebags, that's one I'd be perusing the local Craigslist offerings.

Comment

Working...
                                X