No announcement yet.

Project progress GS 750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks guys, yeah it has an 18 but I have a 17 sitting in storage. As for the Metzlers they are pretty old and will likely have to be updated to something from this decade! I plan to burn the rear to the ground!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I am looking at my options to upgrade to a newer and lighter rear brake, and noticed most options are the underslung GSXR or Busa calipers. I don't mind the underslung mod at all, but seems as if most of these bikes if not all use a smaller diameter rotor, and I don't think I'll be able to find one that will bolt to the original 6 bolt pattern on the hub.

Did I gather from searching your posts that you were looking into an 80's GS1100 rear rotor? The center design in your photos looks like a front rotor. I assume the Bandit 600 bracket wouldn't fit this large of a rotor diameter, and that is why you have a custom made bracket? I had a thought that I could probably find a lighter modern rotor from a front application that would be the correct 6 bolt pcd diameter, offset, and overall diameter to fit the rears, but the modern calipers may be too powerful for that large diameter rotor, as my old single piston GS750 caliper locks up for too easily as is (inherent problem).
      '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
      '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
      '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
      '79 GS425stock
      PROJECTS:
      '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
      '77 GS550 740cc major mods
      '77 GS400 489cc racer build
      '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
      '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Looks very cool. Is that an Airtech CB1100F front fender?
        1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck78 View Post
          I am looking at my options to upgrade to a newer and lighter rear brake, and noticed most options are the underslung GSXR or Busa calipers. I don't mind the underslung mod at all, but seems as if most of these bikes if not all use a smaller diameter rotor, and I don't think I'll be able to find one that will bolt to the original 6 bolt pattern on the hub.

Did I gather from searching your posts that you were looking into an 80's GS1100 rear rotor? The center design in your photos looks like a front rotor. I assume the Bandit 600 bracket wouldn't fit this large of a rotor diameter, and that is why you have a custom made bracket? I had a thought that I could probably find a lighter modern rotor from a front application that would be the correct 6 bolt pcd diameter, offset, and overall diameter to fit the rears, but the modern calipers may be too powerful for that large diameter rotor, as my old single piston GS750 caliper locks up for too easily as is (inherent problem).
          Nice build! Love what you've done so far! Chuck, ha it seems we meet up in every other thread. I am in the process of going to a modern rear brake setup as well. Check this link out http://www.lossaengineering.com/2011...yamaha-sr-500/
          I picked up the same Brembo caliper for $37 shipped on fleabay. I also bought an 02-03 yamaha R1 rear rotor for $15. The bolt pattern is a much larger diameter but it is a 6 bolt. I am making a custom hub spacer with two bolt patterns. One to bolt up like stock to the wheel and the other to match up with the R1 rotor. The R1's bolt pattern is large enough it really wouldn't matter if it was a four bolt or anything else it just looks better when each bolt has a partner plus it gives me a little more meat to work with (and it just looks good because it's all symetrical). The R1 rotor is 0 offset while the stock gs750 is offset. My hub spacer is all drawn up and ready for machining. I will also have to machine a brake bracket which won't be tough. I'll finish it up and you can see what you think. If you like it I'll machine you up the two parts

Comment

Working...
          X