No announcement yet.

Yahweh tribute bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Didn't get much done over the weekend. Still waiting on a colleague from work who has some pipe bending equipment to bend the hoop for me.

I did track down a good master cylinder from the guy I bought the tank from earlier.

Mocked up the handle bars roughly (still waiting for bar end mirrors to arrive, along with mini speedo and tach).
    Also trimmed down the front fender.

Steve, here is close-up of the ANDF sticker - you can still make out the word Suzuki ever so slightly at the bottom:

I remember a friend had a RGV Gamma 50cc when I was in school and it had the same sticker on the forks.

Anybody else had some dealings with these?

Thanx!

Comment

Yeah I reckon the clocks are too big unfortunately. I want one of these:

British Racer | Custom and Performance parts for cafe racer motorcycles, classic motorcycles and roadsters motorcycles. Premium leathers motorcycle jackets and life style gear

It's tiny!

BTW I would look at what CRD have done with their CB750 fuel tank paint jobs. They very cunningly disguise the shape of the tank with a pinstripe and black paint at the bottom. Could work for your tank:

Comment

Yip, you are correct. I tried every which way, but they just looked odd.

I did order some mini gauges from ebay (with free shipping!)
        My kind of online shopping. It just takes forever to get here...
        Even if import tax is double what I paid for them, it will still be cheaper than buying them locally - by a long shot!

Parts (new or second hand) are really difficult to get hold of.
        Managed to find a decent tach cable and right hand controller switch for not too much money, but nobody has a speedo cable - whether new or second hand...

That gauge looks pretty cool! Most of the parts become astronomically expensive with our silly exchange rate, so I have to make use of what I can get locally as much as possible.

Comment

That gauge is steampunk. Pretty cool.

Comment

I had a contact at work help me bend up a section for the tail, as nobody seemed to be able to help me.

He builds customs bicycles and the odd motorbike as well - really nice guy!

Anyway. after a really long struggle to figure out the angles, it is in and welded in. Not the best welding, but in nonetheless!

Need to make up a battery mount, "french" the tail light into the frame, figure out where to mount the indicators and make seat pans.

That should be most of the frame work done.

Comment

Good stuff Wally, looks like that hoop should do the trick nicely.
              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Good deal Wally. I was thinking about you and your build this weekend. Funny thing when I read my Bible now I think, "Wonder how Wally's bike is coming along?"

Nice work on the tail piece. That welding will smooth out nicely.

Comment

Thanx! I am kind of OK with Oxy-Acetalyne, but stick welding sucks...

Managed to get a speedo cable from Suzuki dealership (for probably much cheaper than I get it made up!). Also got the cam tensioner rebuild parts. Gaskets are on order along with clutch cable.

Also looking forward to Passion Conference in Cape Town this coming Sturday - going to be awesome!

Comment

Not much happened this weekend (due to limited time), but got the battery mount in place. Two pieces of angle iron in which the battery rests and held secure by a rubber bungi strap.

Also figured out placement for front indicators:

And found a generic clutch lever mount which fitted the std clutch lever (new cable on the way):

The overall look so far:

Got hold of some sodium bicarbonate (25 kgs of it!) and gonna try my hand at soda blasting some parts as well as the motor.

Next weekend will be the seat pans.

Still waiting on mini gauges and bar end mirrors from China and now there arw rumours of our port workers going on strike...

The shocks are horrible and will get redone later while frame is getting powder coated.

Comment

Good stuff Wally, glad to see an Aussie made product being put to use there too

sigpic

Comment

Quite a productive day!

Made the lower seatpan and had to figure out how to make a recess for the frame's crossbar. Tacked it in (no comments on my welding!) and make the outer shell for the tail light housing. Used a nice el-cheapo chinese spirit level with laser sight to find the centre point on the frame.

Also got some nice tabs which I used as monts for the indicators.

And drained the oil, as I want to pull motor next weekend so the frame can be flipped to weld underneath and clean up the welds.

Comment

Nice project and work so far!

I was born in Cape Town but came to Canada at 2, need to visit and see my heritage some day.

Comment

Love it Wally, I really like how you did the tail light, very neat.

And don't worry about your welds, you ain't seen mine...

sigpic

Comment

Great job Wally.

Comment

Thanx Bevo - give me a shout when you make it out here!

Pete, I only have a stick (arc) welder and oxy-acetylene set.
                                I am more comfortable with the oxy-acetylene, but the oxy regulator is trashed, so I will have to get that fixed.

More work this week - it was such an achievement to get it all right and not messing up the rear hoop.

Comment

Working...
                                X