No announcement yet.

Yahweh tribute bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So does it actually crank? Just no spark? If no cranking, then perhaps your starter solenoid is the answer... a bit screwdriver carefully across the terminals on the solenoid should get her to crank if the solenoid is the problem.
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Nope, no cranking... I will try it!

Comment

Let us know how you go! Also, looking closer... I see the bolt that ground wire goes to appears to be on a painted surface.

Does that bolt have a good connection to ground somewhere? If your starter solenoid is on the same metal surface, do the mounting bolts have a good connection to the metal also? The solenoid is grounded via the mounting bolts.

On mine, I have the electrics plate under the seat and all the ground leads for the various components (and the harness) are together on the same bolt which is a mounting bolt for the solenoid. There is also a ground lead directly from that bolt to the negative terminal of the battery. The electrics plate is a 2.5mm thick piece of aluminium with no surface coating to ensure the best conduction possible.

sigpic

Comment

K, had some time this afternoon. Placed big screwdriver over solenoid terminals and bam! some cranking!

So does this mean the solenoid has gone bad?
          If so, can you find generic ones to fit?

Thanx Pete!

Comment

Not necessarily, it could be the starter button. Check for power at the small wires going to the solenoid with the starter button pushed in. If you get power then try a test light or just try the test light first. Just having power indicating on a meter does not mean load. That's why a test light is best practice.

If no power, then check starter button for power in, basically trace back to source. If it is all good and you have test light function at solenoid then yes, solenoid is bad. Any Suzuki solenoid will work, as will most generic solenoids.
            1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
            1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Thanx Fjbj!

I will see if I get some time over the weekend to trace it.
              Me and electrical stuff is a dangerous combo...

Comment

I'd also confirm those grounds are good Wally but yes the starter button is a good suggestion too, just made me remember mine used to be flaky and a good clean with contact cleaner got that sorted out (thanks for the reminder Fjbj!).

sigpic

Comment

No cranking mystery solved!

Turns out it was something really simple:

Somehow this sucker wasn't plugged in! Not sure how I missed it.

So now it cranks again, but only to right cylinder.

The diodes should be flashing if it fires correctly:

Then another bummer! I saw this on the tank:

I assume there must be a tiny leak on the seam. But it gives me time to redo the tank properly.

I just need to get this thing firing and running!
                  Last edited by Guest; 07-18-2015, 12:49 PM.

Comment

I decided to give float bowls a quick clean, as I am still battling the spark issue (or lack thereof to the left cylinder).

I noticed the left slide needle is sticking out slightly higher than the right.
                    took them apart, noticed the clips were set at different heights.

Set them at same grooves, but now this:

It is even longer now (1 without tape is left side).

Anybody shed some light on why? Different needles?

Solutions?

thanx!

Comment

I haven't logged in for ages sorry Wally... something is definitely wrong there!!!

I'd be pulling those needles out and comparing them carefully.

Also replied to your PM on the 500 carbs if that helps...

sigpic

Comment

Hi all! So it has been a while. So long in fact that I had to re-register, as my previous username (Wally) expired...

Anyway...the project stood still for a while and we tackled it again towards end of last year. Finally got to the root of the erratic spark issue - turns out the electronic ignition module thingy was toast.
                        Back to point system and it fired better, but still battling to get it idling smoothly.

A buddy helped me pull the heads off and we discovered the rings are shot with some nice play on the pistons.

Cylinders are perfect and smooth.

So, in short, I will need new pistons, rings, conrods, etc...

Any leads would be great!

Thanx!

Local Suzuki dealer is charging a fortune for this. I please need some reliable well-priced sources I could get costs from.

A friend of mine is interested in the bike and is pushing to get it done.

Comment

Welcome back.

I would be interested to know how it is you determined need pistons and con rods, and not just rings.....?

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I can't even remember. We stripped it back in October last year and it was put on the back burner as it wasn't a necessity, but now that my friend has finally decided he wants the bike, it has

It smoked quite badly, but as I can remember there was a bit of sideways play on the piston.
                            I am thinking maybe just new rings and a new piston pin along with new crank bearings.

I found some pistons in my storage room from another 450 I had bought (and forgotten about) that had dropped a bearing, but the pistons were all in really good shape.

Comment

Working...
                            X