No announcement yet.

82 GS1100E Restore/Rebuild Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are you going to run for head and cams to feed this thing?
    1983 GS1100E

Comment

Head & Cams

Picked up an 86 GSXR1100 head and cams on fleabay. I am planning to use it with slotted GS cam sprockets and a new HD GS cam chain.
      I still have the learning curve ahead for setting timing, though. Any suggestions on where to start at with my setup? 110/110? 108/108?

Comment

Originally posted by mxm64 View Post
        Any suggestions on where to start at with my setup? 110/110? 108/108?
        Look up rapidray (that's his GSR username) and give him a call. He specializes in 1100+ engines.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Engine Build Update

Finally got back to work on this project. Uploaded some new pics to the link below. The bored bottom case is together and the 83mm block and pistons are installed. The GSXR1100 head is modified with all unused oil ports plugged. Now working on degreeing the cams and then get her back in the frame. Also big thanks to Ray for all the help so far!

Comment

Marc,
            Love the build, but you gotta embed the pics here so I know what goes with what. Click the little yellow box with a mountain in it and paste the URL of the photo from picasa. If you're using chrome it's easy, just R-click on the photo and select "copy URL".

We're lazy, and we don't want to go looking through your whole picasa account for the picture you're talking about.

With 100% respect. Hopefully my comment doesn't come off as a dick.

Comment

Lazy

You're right, I was a little lazy. I didn't take the time to label every photo. I tired to summarize the photos, but I could do a better job embedded the pics as you suggested. I'll have to work on that...

Comment

Loven this build. impressed.

How did you check that the oil galleries are clear after sand blasting?

I have brought 3 x 1100E's in my life.
                Sold the first one to buy a Kat
                Sold the second one cause it needed to much spent on it.
                Purchased my current one with 33km on the clock and its close to mint...

Plan- up side down forks and some wider rims. Other wise standard, even down to the original exhaust.

Regarding your pictures...... just my take. At first it was a pain but I soon stared to like all the great high res pictures. So keep them coming cause I am Loven it.

BUT post a couple of picture to please the others... just keep them pictures going.

Loven the mighty 1100E
                Oh and to add, well impressed with the GSXR head.
                Current Bikes.... 81,1230Kat, 86,GSXR1100, 86,RG500, :D
                The 80`s - Back in the days when men looked like women, women dressed like whores and the music F@#KING ROCKED! http://d26ya5yqg8yyvs.cloudfront.net/friday.gif

Comment

Forgot to add...

What with the Samira sword and ninja on top of your cupboards?
                  Current Bikes.... 81,1230Kat, 86,GSXR1100, 86,RG500, :D
                  The 80`s - Back in the days when men looked like women, women dressed like whores and the music F@#KING ROCKED! http://d26ya5yqg8yyvs.cloudfront.net/friday.gif

Comment

Ninja

Thanks Arronduke for the kind words. Yes, cleaning the engine after bead blasting was a pain, especially threaded holes. You never quite seem to get all the bead out and then I couldn't get the HD studs to go in far enough. I wound up chasing ALL the threads in the case with taps. This worked OK, except I still couldn't get the HD case studs infront of the oil filter to in far enough and then messed up the threads I had the double nuts on. So those two will still be stock bolts. Oh well, hopefully it holds together!
                    On my secret Ninja stash..... Actually it's just a tire bead breaker! LOL.
                    It works well for breaking motorcycle tire beads, but I still suck at changing tires with irons. I'd just rather pay someone to do it now without messing up my rims. So here's my first embedded image! But how do you resize it? I clicked and dragged on the corners, but it's still huge!

Comment

Originally posted by mxm64 View Post
                      So here's my first embedded image! But how do you resize it? I clicked and dragged on the corners, but it's still huge!
                      You're using the photo from Harbor Freight so whatever size it is, that's what is going to appear here. The way it works: this site isn't burdening it's servers with the image data. It's using the image from the HF server and embedding the image here. The only way you can re-size that one is by saving it to your computer, resizing it, then uploading it to a server. Either your own or the one on this site.

Or you find a smaller picture on the host site and use that (like I did below)

For example, with your tire changing woes, what I suggest is this automotive tire changer that's on sale for $45. (comes with a bead breaker built into the base)

Then also get the motorcycle tire adapter for $39. Get a can of Plasi-dip and coat the end of the bar so it doesn't scratch your rims.

When I was road racing and supermoto racing I could change both tires to rains in 20 min with this setup.

FYI: If you hit "reply with quote" it will show you all the image data in your new reply.

-Kevin

Comment

Working...
                      X