No announcement yet.

GS550L to Cafe Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the manual it says to check with either calipers or a dial gauge to check the thickness. Even at the thickest points it's under the minimum spec, it's one more thing I didn't plan on replacing lol. I found a set from another 81 gs 550 that had 8,000 miles of ebay for $20 so at least it won't hurt my wallet too much.

Comment

I got the block clearanced, it didn't take as much work as I thought. The main places it needed to be dremeled down were around the edges and a few inches inside the block.

Other then that I just finished some cleaning

And the other day I reworked the seat mounts to use hitch pins. I need longer ones and longer rubber pads though.
      Last edited by Guest; 12-01-2012, 10:25 PM.

Comment

I posted in general but I got my parts in and my head gasket arrived bent and unusable

At least I have more time to paint.

Comment

My spokes came in today! I got them mounted up on the bike, but the speedo drive I have doesn't fit... I'll have to figure that out.

The date code says they were made in late July 2009, so they'll be fine for a while. Dunlop 404s aren't that great so I'll replace them with some Avons or 203s before riding too much.

Comment

There are at least two sizes of speedo drives, the Ladies models and a few others used the small ones, most used the bigger ones.

Which do you need? I may have one.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I'm pretty sure its the small one, the little teeth sit on top of the bearing near the axle.

Comment

Spokes are sexy!

Old vs new

Comment

I like it!

Hey did you get my PM about the speedo drives?
                  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Today I got a giant box in the mail

What's this?

Yes!

Making a mount is going to be interesting... I don't have a welder but I have seen a few setups online.

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty View Post
                      My spokes came in today! I got them mounted up on the bike, but the speedo drive I have doesn't fit... I'll have to figure that out.

The date code says they were made in late July 2009, so they'll be fine for a while. Dunlop 404s aren't that great so I'll replace them with some Avons or 203s before riding too much.
                      Check the other side of the wheel for the speedo drive notches. It may be mounted up backwards. I know the mag wheels can be flipped. There may be a plastic cover over the rotor bolt holes.

Buddy
                      09 Yamaha Venture Royal (my first Yamaha)
                      83 Honda VT500FT Ascot (three of them)
                      81 GS650G for the wife.
                      82 Suzuki GS850GL Bought it 3 times, sold it twice, then traded for a nice 82 GS1100G AND a 93 Honda 750 Nighthawk, even WOW!
                      I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those words that should have remained unsaid.
                      If ya can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with B. S.
                      Motorcycles are like children....They should be seen and not heard.

Comment

Gas tank

Any special fab work to get the 650E gas tank to fit on the 550 frame?

Comment

Well i have a 550 tank sitting on my 650 that came with it, its not a natural fit and will need for sure need new mounts. the bottom mounts are different on ine but the top fits fine. not a major just some tinkering thats all..

Comment

The 81-82's had the front mounts with the pucks and two flat tabs at the end of the tank that bolt to the frame. My frame is a 81 550L and the tank is an 82 650E, so the 650 tank has the same mounting setup as the one on the bike. The only difference is the front mounts (the studs on the frame) are about 3 inches behind where they need to be. Luckily though, the frame has holes drilled already exactly where they need to be for an E tank. You just need to come up with mounting studs. IIRC, the older GS's had a single mount for the rear of the tank though.

Today I wanted to get some work done on the bike. It's been so cold lately that I haven't felt like working on it, but today it was finally nice and warm.

I got one half of the case painted silver (VHT engine aluminum), it came out really nice actually. The metallic in the paint smoothes out very well and it's already hardened.

The bottom half of the case got primered, along with the valve cover and breather.

Last edited by Guest; 01-26-2013, 11:32 PM. Reason: fixed massive picture

Comment

Hey toast what did you use for the prime?

Comment

It seems to be good stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X