Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

used brand name helmet vs. new asian

Hi,

I am almost ready to begin riding again. I was browsing ebay for a helmet and I saw several, shoei, arai, hjc helmets very affordable.

Is it better to buy a used but brand name helmet. Or a new asian (chineese mas produced farily cheap) helmet?

ps. I will buy a new brand name helmet once budget allows.

Have you looked at NewEnough.com?

I bought a very nice HJC which was last year's model for about $25, it was around $225 originally. Very comfortable and well made.

But to answer your question, used helmets are a bad idea, cheap ones can be safe if they fit well, will not be as comfortable or last as long, the fit and finish will suck compared to an expensive one. But if you hit your head, the ten cents worth of foam that may save your noggin is every bit as effective as the ten cents worth of foam in an Arai or a Shoei.

Edit, NewEnogugh right now has two HJC helmets for $50. Look in the bargain basement.
    Last edited by tkent02; 10-12-2012, 01:58 PM.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I would not put my head in someone else s helmet unless i new them well.

Thinking I would go with the Chinese helmet, would try and buy something with comparable features to a higher end helmet.

The plastic pieces seem to break down the quickest(Vents,Slide parts for visor) I think mostly due to exposed in sun.

Most helmets are made in china?

Really no good answer as i like to feel a helmet so I can better judge its weight and appeal.

Will try and find something i like at a shop, and then look online for the best price.

I don't know if that is a option for you?

Comment

One of my rules is never wear a secondhand helmet.

One of my sister's mates imports and sells race replica helmets (in the UK. Unlike most replicas they are the real deal - exactly the same as worn by the guys on the track. Most of them are made in Pakistan and have all the kitemarks etc.

No need to buy a copy of The Doctor's lid though. The new stuff selling for £50 (call it $80 your side of the water) in plain colours is as safe as you need, maybe just not as stylish as you might want.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

There are tons of fantastic inexpensive helmets nowadays -- really, this has been a huge and welcome change in motorcycling over the last five years.

They all fit a little different -- find shops with a good selection, try on lots, get some knowledgable help with fitting (you'll likely pick out one that's too big on your own), and then buy from that shop. Wasting a shop's time and then ordering from the internet is a dick move.

If you're not picky about color/pattern, you can find some screaming bargains.

I would not buy a used helmet unless it's been very lightly used.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Do some resaech here http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...le-helmets.htm .Find out what 'type" of head you have then hit the closeout selections of your favorite online retailer. As stated Motorcylcle Gear(the new name for NewEnough) http://www.motorcyclegear.com/ is a good one,just put these http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...in_helmet.html in the last chance section.

Comment

AFX helmets have been getting decent write-ups for a budget helmet & are a good price...

New for definite... I have just retired one $250 helmet that I bought from New Enough for $60 5 years ago. If you don't worry too much about colours you can get some great deals.
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
              X